2015 Audi 150 Diesel - Losses all power

Gibbo4673

My sister picked up a 2015 Audi Q3 from Eastbourne Audi just before christmas. On now half a dozen occasions the car dies, all light go out on the dash and engines stalls. Once stationery it will start. The only issue is that the dealer says that he can find nothing wrong with the car and it displays no fault codes. As it was in 30 days she asked for a like for like replacement, which apparently cost £6,000......all a little curious. I (Or a mechanic) now has to find a fault. is there anything that I should suggest needs looking into. 

Hello Mark,

Sorry to hear of your sister’s issues with this car. 

You ask if there is anything that needs looking into, and my advice would be for your sister to go to the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, and take advice on the options open to her.

As I see it, the car is not fit for purpose ( and indeed could be considered dangerous) and she has given the seller opportunities to correct the faults - which they can’t. The next point could be that she formally rejects the car and has her money refunded in full.

Not sure what you mean by  ’....replacement... which apparently cost £6000...’ 

Was the car bought from an Audi main dealer? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thank you for your reply. 

She has approached "Which Legal". They advised her to write a letter with rejecting the car, and saying that the offer is not exceptable. The dealer said that they don't except the rejection. The Obudsman is the next route. But in the mean time the dealer has delivered the car back to her saying that they can't find any faults......

The problem is that the garage say that they cannot find a fault. I think that she is  going to get it looked at by an independent. But the age of the mechanic has died and the diagnostic tool rule. If there is no error code there is no fault. 

Under the Audi 30 day guarantee the dealer has to offer a like car if your are not happy with the current one. So, with depreciation of the current car, and the fact the car is slightly newer, the difference is £6,000. WOW!

Yes this was bought from a main dealer. 

Best 

Mark 

Hello Mark,

I’m sorry to hear your sister has yet to resolve the issue. To put it in a nutshell, the fact that the Audi dealer cannot find any fault (codes) obviously does not mean that the fault is not present - it just means they cannot identify the fault.

I think “Which Legal” having given your sister sound advice based on your description of the events. Writing a recorded - delivery letter to the dealer principal should be done without delay, and should be sent off before approaching the Ombudsman. 

As I said, I would be encouraging your sister to visit her local CAB, as suggested, and I’m sure they will draft a letter for her. Difficult to put this delicately Mark (and with apologies) but the way in which this letter is written will be of paramount importance. In view of this, I would not be writing this for her/with her since they will (understandably?) pick up words such as exceptable for acceptable ( predictive text?) etc. and unfortunately that could dilute her case. She would be well advised to talk this through face to face (ASAP) with CAB and ask them to draft the letter for her.

An additional progressive move should be to write to the finance company involved - if the car is on a finance agreement.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion, and will possibly differ from others. 

Good luck in sorting it out.

Kind regards,

Gareth.