Tailgate struts

Duck

Does anyone have issues with their tailgate struts? 

The tailgate seems to slow down instead of 'popping' up to it's maximum height once opened. I once hit my head on it, reaching into my boot, because the struts didn't push the gate up fast enough.

Is it because it's cold outside or are there gas issues/faults within the struts?

I don't have a powered tailgate.

Live up to your name next time 😜

Mine pops open fairly quickly, I've never had to dodge it at least. I doubt the temperatures up here will be significantly warmer than where you are, so it wouldn't seem that's a likely explanation. They do lose their spring after a while, but I would expect them to last longer than 5 years before that became apparent. Especially fitted on something as light weight as a boot lid. See if you can get a better set from your local scrappy?

On 2/16/2019 at 11:37 AM, Simon P said:

Live up to your name next time 😜

Mine pops open fairly quickly, I've never had to dodge it at least. I doubt the temperatures up here will be significantly warmer than where you are, so it wouldn't seem that's a likely explanation. They do lose their spring after a while, but I would expect them to last longer than 5 years before that became apparent. Especially fitted on something as light weight as a boot lid. See if you can get a better set from your local scrappy?

Ha! Yeah thanks for that Simon! 😂

I did some reading about the pressure levels the struts can offer. Some as low as 450n, some as high as 560n. I have no idea what the OEM level is at but I guess i'd like it to be as strong as possible.

I've also since read that the struts do have a lifespan, and it confirms what you're saying about them being around 5 years.

My last car was a Q5 with a larger tailgate, and it swung up like a shot. Presumably the strut had a higher 'n' level than my Avant which has a much smaller tailgate.

Good idea to go get a cheap used part, but perhaps from a different model than my Avant...

Aye, sorry about that, I just couldn't resist. I imagine it's become rather boring over the years.

If your thinking of fitting for eg Q5 struts, make sure the fully extended length is the same or within a few mm. To short and you'll have to duck 🙄 under it anyway.
To long and you risk stretching the hinges or contact between tailgate and roof. I expect you've already considered that, but it does no harm to remind you, just incase you forgot.

I've no idea about OEM Audi parts and prices, I haven't had mine long enough and it's still new enough not to have needed any parts so far.
I did nip into an Audi dealer near where I work, to enquire about any MMI and or map updates because the installed setup is 4 years old, same age as the car. There IS an update, but the CD version for a car the age of mine is (I think) £276, which is a bit eye watering considering I can buy a sat-nav for a lot less than that with lifetime updates and traffic problem rerouting. The USB or SD Card updates were even more expensive, for the newer cars which can only be updated that way 😮
If the VAG parts are all in a similar vein I might well regret buying this car, we'll see 🙂

By the way, is it definitely 'n' and not 'N' ?
N is shorthand for Newtons, I can't remember what n is shorthand for.
I remember N because it's part of torque, setting your torque wrench for a number of Newton metres Nm, it used to be foot pounds ft lbs until we went metric.
I'm old enough to have been taught the old Imperial measures, then changing to metric half way through the year, probably 1971.

Nah you're okay mate. It's just my avatar name, my name's Kev!

Yeah I've been thinking about sat Nav updates too and came to similar conclusions as you. I still rely on my Tom Tom since my A4 hasn't been updated since it came out of the factory in 2012. Shocking really.

Yep, that's what I meant 'N'. Unsure if it's true meaning relating to struts, only that it's familiar in the sense that torque is of course measured in NM.

N for Newton's would refer to pressure, but I've no idea about the relationship between Newton's to psi except that 450 psi is 30 bar (30 x barometric pressure, 1 bar is 15 psi). 30 bar would be enormous, gas cylinder type pressure, talking Oxygen cylinders etc, not Calor gas. Ship builders on the Clyde used to shoot them at the docks on the opposite side of the river. Set them up on a trestle then knock the valve off with a !Removed! big hammer 😄

Metres are m btw, not M, so torque is in Nm LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I just changed mine, its a less than 5min job, the only tool you need is a flat head screwdriver and paid 30gbp for 2 OEM parts.

The existing strut will have an OEM part number, I also doubled checked it  https://partsfinder.bilsteingroup.com/

Edited by S4_SLEEPER