AO vs AO1

BluWarfareHD

I'm needing replacement fronts, but when looking at new tyres I've seen that Continental now have a AO1 spec tyre aswell as the AO(Conti Sport Contact 5 225/40 R18 92Y) spec that is currently on my car. I've had a google search and can't find any real information on the difference, if any, between them.

So was wondering if anybody on here knows if there is any difference between them or has used them.

Cheers

Hello Nathaniel,

I'm afraid I cannot help you with the differences between these two Continental tyres, although I have been running our non-Audi on Contact 2 (I think), and now the A3 on Contact 5. 

My best suggestion would be to contact Continental (UK) and ask there - where you should be guaranteed getting the differences explained. 

Perhaps you can let the forum know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Contacted them last night via the contact-Technical Questions on their website and this is the email I've received this morning

"Thank you for getting in contact.

The differences between this tyres from the technical aspect, the A01 is a latest generation of that pattern. On my database I see 225/40R18 92Y XL FR ContiSportContact 5 AO we stopped manufacturing.

The 225/40R18 92Y XL FR ContiSportContact 5 AO1 is homologated and is fitment by Audi as original equipment for Audi A3.

If you are in any doubt I would call the vehicle manufacturer who should be able to fully guide in the correct fitment.

Best Regards

Tomasz Wojciechowski

Product Support Engineer"

OK Nathaniel,

So the advice has moved you on a stage.

Personally, I prefer making a phone call rather than depending on e-mails, since e-mailed replies may not give you the full details you require. However, actual contact phone numbers can sometimes be difficult to find.

As I see it, they are referring to XL tyres which in my book equates to ‘extra load’ - the meaning being obvious, but the possible effect on ride quality may not. I’m old fashioned, but 40 profile tyres are at best a little ‘backside on the ground’ ride inducing, so a XL variant of this (where we assume the sidewalls will be less flexible) will give an even stiffer ride. 

Unless your current tyres are marked XL and you know and are happy with the ride comfort, then personally I would be avoiding an XL tyre. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.