Looking to buy an A6 (C6) - What to Look Out For?

eprice01

Hello everybody,

After my '06 Mercedes decided to catch fire two weeks ago I have been looking for a new car and the A6 seems to be ideal.  I have seen a nice '05 model with a 2.4 petrol engine and a 6 speed manual gearbox with 90k miles (1 owner, FSH, etc.) but experience has taught me to ask in owners forums what to expect, what to look out for, etc.

I would be hugely grateful if any knowledgeable people could help out.  I had a nasty £1,300 repair bill to replace the cam chain in my C-Class only three months after getting it and I don't want a similar shock with whatever I buy next.

Many thanks in advance,
Eric

Love my C6 though it’s a 2.7 derv.

Body is galvanised so if there are signs of rust there will have been accident in its past. 

Make sure all ectrics work and turn lights on to see if any warnings come up on dash. 

Fuel gauges can sometimes play up, this is usually the terminals on top of tank though so easy fix.

If it’s a Quattro I found mine was unstable in the wet but by putting matching tyres on back this was sorted.

90k is young for this engine!! Not sure if it has cam belt or not but I am sure you can ask about that.

Final thing is out reg number into an app like total car check. This will give you info on last test on advisories.

9 minutes ago, Dan3222 said:

Final thing is out reg number into an app like total car check. This will give you info on last test on advisories.

I checked the MoT history on the .gov website when I first saw it.  It got pulled up on a tyre that didn't have much tread left in 2010 and one of the bulbs on the number plate wasn't working last year.  So basically it sailed though every single test without anything worth mentioning.  Pretty good eh?

Yes, mine was the same really. I think mine had an advisory on brake discs but that didn’t worry me. 

Only thing I have really had to do to mine was replace front drop links since taking ownership.

wish I had taken my own advice though and checked the lights, it’s had the halogen upgrade but the onboard computer doesn’t like them showing build failure. Yet to see if MOT will fail it because of this since the new rules have come in.

good luck with it.

Check the air conditioning/climate control does what it is supposed to do and the central locking (my passenger door wouldn't unlock via the fob on 2 clicks and would only open from the inside when I collected car so dealer had to sort).

Really hope the car you are looking at ticks all the boxes!

• 3 months later...

If you have a laptop, lead and a copy of vcds or a diagnostic fault code reader or a mate with one  - plug it in and scan for any errors - c6 has plenty of sensors and gadgets to go wrong so as said previously ensure all the electric toys work! - suspension at front can be vulnerable so check that and discs for signs of wear ! my  2006 c6  2.7tdi sline avant has done 106k miles and apart from a recent rear break glass sensor error is going strong - no MOT advisories at 13 years old so they are solid cars. Given age I would check that the glow plugs are all working as this can be an expensive job. I am 2nd owner as car was an ex audi dealer demonstrator and will run it until it dies as the later models feel smaller but at some point when it expires will probably get another a6 avant - have had merc e class and other german metal but really like the A6!