Fuel Gauge reads zero! A6 2005 3.0TDI

Davi926

Hi all.

Kind of exhausted all avenues here so im asking to see if anyone can help.

Bought my A6 avant a few months ago from a private seller and noticed it was low on fuel so took it to the fuel station and filled up and was half way home when i realised the fuel warning light was on and it was telling me i had zero range and needed to fill up. Got it home and seller wont answer texts or calls ( Probably got the first flight out the country lol ).

Ive had it on a few occasions when ive put my foot down and gunned it to get the gauge to read what is in the tank and it'll go back to zero when I start it again. This happens very rarely though so can never get it to happen when I want it too. Ive had it once where its been working for three trips one after the other on the same day but stopped working over night.

Pretty sure when it does work it tells me what I have in there at that exact moment and stays that way as the range doesn't go down.

Things ive done since ive had it is have the fuel pump / sender out and play with the connectors (nothing happened) tapped both sides with the car running to see if the gauges move (Nothing). Replaced the Fuel pump and sender for another used one from a working car. Nothing at first but two days later after changing it with the battery disconnected it worked and continued to work until today (3 Days) where it read zero. Not sure if it has anything to do with how much is in the tank but i was between 3 quarters and full. Not sure if it working for 3 days is a coincidence?

Also tried pulling fuse 15 and no result.

So as you can see im lost for ideas of what I can try next as I feel there is nothing apart from hanging it over to audi themselves to diagnose it and ive read stories that theyll just change anything will nilly until they find the fault.

Many thanks guys.

This is definitely a common fault on the C6. It’s on mine also.

I believe from memory there are two floats/senders on the tank, have you found both and played with them?

Others have said that the terminals just need a clean. Thought mine had a touch of the fairies and fixed itself but alas it’s not reading at all again.

As mine is off the road for a while I won’t be able to attempt to fix it but if I can I will have a look next weekend.

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

16 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

This is definitely a common fault on the C6. It’s on mine also.

I believe from memory there are two floats/senders on the tank, have you found both and played with them?

Others have said that the terminals just need a clean. Thought mine had a touch of the fairies and fixed itself but alas it’s not reading at all again.

As mine is off the road for a while I won’t be able to attempt to fix it but if I can I will have a look next weekend.

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

Ok thankyou for that.

All i did was change the one on the driver's side as that's the one with the electrical connector. I'll have the other side out and see what that does.

I'll let you know

Ive gone and bought VAG COM. I needed it any way to reset my service schedule.

This is what im getting.

4 Faults Found:

00438 - Fuel Supply Sensor 2 (G169)

010 - Open or Short to Plus

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 01101010

Fault Priority: 7

Fault Frequency: 254

Reset counter: 103

Mileage: 143532 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2017.03.16

Time: 19:09:31

007 - Short to Ground

Freeze Frame:

00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)

010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00101010

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 117

Mileage: 208465 km

Date: 2019.01.27

Time: 09:38:24

01314 - Engine Control Module

004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00100100

Fault Priority: 2

Reset counter: 120

Mileage: 208531 km

Time: 16:11:21

I wish I had VCDS tbh but not always sure what all the readings mean. But, looking at yours surely it’s pointing to bad connections or a broken wire?

Maybe an good old google search with the fault codes and see if you get more info else where. I don’t have time tonight but I will have a good search on it tomorrow, see what I can find on it.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, Davi926 said:

Ive gone and bought VAG COM. I needed it any way to reset my service schedule.

This is what im getting.

4 Faults Found:

010 - Open or Short to Plus

Freeze Frame:

007 - Short to Ground

Freeze Frame:

00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)

010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00101010

Reset counter: 117

Mileage: 208465 km

Time: 09:38:24

01314 - Engine Control Module

004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00100100

Fault Priority: 2

Reset counter: 120

Mileage: 208531 km

Time: 16:11:21

I presume the car is quattro with 80l tank that has 2 senders .

Faulty sender on passanger side. Its a common fault on a6 c6 . There are few ways to get it fix. Did you manage to get it working now ?

35 minutes ago, niedzial1983 said:

Yeah that's the one I replaced the driver's side. Typical. Haven't fixed it yet as I'm driving to get the fuel down. What's the easy fix?

Play with the connectors?

Thanks

I presume the car is quattro with 80l tank that has 2 senders .

Faulty sender on passanger side. Its a common fault on a6 c6 . There are few ways to get it fix. Did you manage to get it working now ?

23 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

Out of interest which VCDS did you buy and how much? I am wondering if it would read all VAG vehicles?

I got the full vcds hex+can but it's a cracked version so stuck on 12.12. works fine though. Was £50 on eBay. Reset the codes yeah

22 hours ago, Davi926 said:

In esence yes. So

fix one to remove the bench and cover plate held by 3 screws. Then unplug electrical connectors , clean with contact cleaner and put back 

Of this does not fix then you would need to take the sende out , plastic ring can be a pain to unscrew but few taps of a hamer through a wood block dose it. On the sender there is a connector hanging out that fails. Best option would be to cut it out and solder the cables. 

Watching with anticipation.

Be great of you could take a couple of photos to help other (and me)

dont forget to hoover like crazy before you open the large plastic nut. You don’t want crud getting into the fuel.

1 hour ago, Davi926 said:

Ok thankyou for that I'll try that tomorrow. Would soldering something that's been in diesel be smart? 

Well you would obviusly clean and degress all prior ...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Had the same issue on mine - would read 0 fuel even though just brimmed it! - quick temp fix was to pull the fuel pump fuse and the instrument cluster fuse then turn on the ignition to reset , turn off and then replace fuses then start car again - this worked for a while as a hack and got the fuel gauge registering level again but after a while issue returned ! - A6 avant has a saddle tank for weight distribution and is in the middle of the rear of the car under rear seat and boot - the fuel gauge fault is down to the 2x float sensors / sender units on left and right side under the seats - had both replaced as VAG .com wasn't 100% accurate on specifying which one - I fitted a pair at circa £78 each, now all sorted.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

Hi guys know it's late but mine ended up being the easiest fix ever. The pump on the passenger side wasn't faulty but after fighting the lock ring off for an hour and taking it to a garage It turned out the arm which the float attaches to had disconnected from the pump and required putting back into place and has stayed put the last few thousand miles. So check before and don't be an idiot and buy a new pump which was working perfectly fine.

• 8 months later...

Hey all! I know Im too late to the party, but suffering from the same symptoms, fuel gauge was working on and off, then mostly off for a couple of months, took the car for a full service, then suddenly worked ... for a day, might give the instrument cluster hack a try from above. but still need a permanent fix.

Is there any way to tell without VCDS which sensor is faulty? Read somewhere that can be measured with a multimeter , two middle pins on top of the fuel pump socket. 

Wondering if anyone know a post, or made any photos about the procedure of replacing these sensors? how easy it is to replace? also can anyone tell me the part number for the sensors?

thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

People say this is common fault, which I believe it is. But Audi have had no recalls. 

I also have this exact problem, intermittent readings. It just got to the point were I purchased a new sensor from Audi. This location is under the rear seat. So any kind of sitting or things on the back seat, I noticed stoped my sensors. 

Mine read sensor 2 problem, if the car can be filled up and the fuel pump still pushed the fuel to the engine. It’s the same part I purchased from Audi. It was around £80 and I think it’s the part for the sender unit under my rear seats near the fuel tank. 

haven’t had this installed yet, I’m sure I can do this myself to be honest. But I’m positive this will fully fix my problem. 

Hope this helps