Stop start technology

Chin

I have my first Audi Q3 2019. It has start stop technology, my question is simple, does all the starting and stopping of the engine harm the engine itself??

Hello Phil,

I think you have to ask yourself the question of why this technology has been developed ( although it’s concept does go back over 80 years!). Yes, the answer is environment friendliness - not engine friendliness. 

The maximum wear tends to occur on start up, where oil pressure has dropped to zero, that is why some low mileage cars can be as worn as much as high mileage motorway-driven cars. I think the answer is that stop/start technology is not in the best interest of the vehicle - engine, starter motor, battery etc. ,but is in the best interest of the environment. 

How long do you intend to keep the car? The answer to this,  and of course your views on the environment and what other polluters are doing about it - might aid a decision on which way to go forward. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Further to my question I have found no evidence that it is good or results in no wear, so every time I drive I just switch it off. It actually makes the driving experience better without itstopping. One road I went down the other day with slow traffic resulted in 10 stop starts!!!, hence it gets switched off from now on

Hello Phil,

As I said in my response, it was not designed to improve driving experience or as an aid to reduce mechanical wear. It’s concept lies firmly and solely in making a contribution to reducing pollution levels. Your road of 10 stop/restarts is probably a good example, and if you multiply the number of vehicles using that stretch of road at the same time, and assess the time at rest when the emissions from these engines would be zero if they were operated on Stop/restart, then the combined ‘good effect’ would be significant. 

I think we drivers are generally cosseted from this pollution since as we sit in our little box, but for pavement walkers and residents, the effects are indeed detrimental and significant, and every little helps. 

I just wonder how long the option of turning off the stop/restart technology will last, and it would surprise me if the option will remain on new vehicles beyond the next couple of years.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a new Q3 1.5tsfi and always disable the stop start mainly as it makes for a more pleasant driving experience but the potential extra wear on the engine is a good point I had not considered . There was an article in one of the major car magazines a year or so ago saying the main driving force for this technology is that car manufacturers are keen to shave every miniscule point off the mpg figures when they are compared with other cars but the driver will barely benefit in the real world from this technology . It is worse in diesel cars which often start with more of a jolt .

Not sure how much harm stop/start does to the engine when driving about town relatively slowly as the engine, starter motor and battery are designed for that but I worry on the motorway or any other roads where your driving relatively fast if you have to stop you do not want the engine to stop as the turbo is still very hot and spinning very fast which requires a constant supply of oil for lubrication and cooling, I always switch off the stop start out of town. This is not as important on diesel engines as the exhaust temperature is cooler and the turbos don't generally spin as fast.

• 4 months later...