old faithfull

Ken Lettin

hi

After 21 years of almost faultless service its time to replace 1990 2.3 coupe,its been my daily user through thick and thin,Ive grown quiet attached to her.Know you shouldnt its just a car.

starts first time has full service history books almost full.still running the factory clutch lol on about 240 000 miles.

Keep getting advice too tidy up and store it,not sure what to do ,any ideas

Has two warning light faults are with the ecu,shouldnt have argued with are range rover over a deep puddle

coolant level warning all sensors replaced and new bottle,oil warning light goes off after start up never sen again

cheers 

ken

kirsty 019.jpg

Hello Ken,

It sounds like you deserve to be proud of this car, and feel reluctant to let it go. Well done car! - and well done you for looking after it. 

I think you are looking for advice on whether to keep it or not. If so, it depends how much sentimental value you (understandably) have in it, and whether that is greater than the potential short term future value increase.

The hard commercial fact is that the cost, and responsibility to retain the car is unlikely to be covered by the potential increase in its value, so it is back to the cost of sentiment. I would say the car would need to be undercover, and if you are able to do that without cost, then you are half way there. 

Of course, road tax will ( might)  have to to be factored in, as will MOT charges and insurance, although the car will qualify for relatively low cost classic car cover if you are prepared to seriously restrict its annual mileage. 

Hope some of this helps Ken, and if you do decide to keep it and want more specific advice then please come back to us. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it if you got decent storage! She wouldn't cost much and good ones are thin on the ground! 

The number of cars that I should have kept (or brought and kept) just purely for financial return later on us huge, and I would have culturally and financially better off!!!

• 3 weeks later...

HI GUYS 

GREAT NEWS THE OLD FAITHFULL PASTED  ITS MOT,ONLY TO BE TOLD IT COULD DO SOME NEW REAR DISCS EASY TO FIND.BUT NEEDS SOME CARRIER RETAINING BOLTS NLA YET AGAIN.AUDI TRADITION GERMANY HAVE THE PARTS BUT WONT TALK EVEN TOOK THE TIME TO REGISTER.

CAN ANYONE HELP

NOT MUCH HAIR LEFT LOL

CHEERS

KEN  

• 3 months later...