UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters

Trevor

Speed limiting technology set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022  

524 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this move or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Speed limiting technology looks set to become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022, after new rules were provisionally agreed by the EU

Do you agree with this or not, will it save lives? 
Have your say now....vote in the poll

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that a Martin Lewis poll for the same topic came out in favour (only just) on Farcebook. 

Might indicate that the majority of those that voted in favour of speed control probably use public transport or drive minimal miles each year.

I do not condone speeding in any way but the perception of speed and an archaic speed limit should not detract away from accidents happening due to poor driving standards and that speed only increases the severity of the accident. Drive in a manner that suits ability and road conditions. Teach drivers that it remains there responsibility to avoid accidents through perception and we should all get around in a safe yet punctual manner. 

• 2 weeks later...

Many cars already have this technology but you can choose not to switch it on. I drove a Hyundai i10 (Rental)  which had it! I guess if everyone else is limiting their speed you are going to stand out speeding in your Audi! 

2021 will be a record breaking year to buy a new high performance car.

I can see a lot of happy drivers of older cars, doing 75mph, overtaking 2022 supercars on motorways!!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with me or not but this is my opinion. 

I think it could be a good idea if implemented to the first, say,  3 to 5 years of getting a license.

On motorways it could mean an end to traffic as everyone will travel at exactly the same speed, but no overtaking is the downside, you will enter the motorway behind a car and stay there until you come off.

In built up areas especially by schools and shopping centres etc, it's an idea that should have been used many years ago. 

How many times have you done 35 or even 40 in a 30, I know I have, maybe lapsed judgment, but I have. Touch wood no accidents as yet.

Slate me if you wish but I am on the fence about this idea of speed restrictions. In some areas of driving I think it's brilliant.  But in others a terrible idea.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 8:30 AM, The Brummie Mechanic said:

Agree with me or not but this is my opinion. 

I think it could be a good idea if implemented to the first, say,  3 to 5 years of getting a license.

On motorways it could mean an end to traffic as everyone will travel at exactly the same speed, but no overtaking is the downside, you will enter the motorway behind a car and stay there until you come off.

In built up areas especially by schools and shopping centres etc, it's an idea that should have been used many years ago. 

How many times have you done 35 or even 40 in a 30, I know I have, maybe lapsed judgment, but I have. Touch wood no accidents as yet.

Slate me if you wish but I am on the fence about this idea of speed restrictions. In some areas of driving I think it's brilliant.  But in others a terrible idea.

I agree