Now radiator fans don't work

leenowell

Hi All,

Now I have solved the initial issue, when stationary for a period of time, the car over heats (otherwise fine).  The radiator fans don't seem to come on so assuming for the moment that is the issue.  Tests so far....

1. I have read online that they are also used for the AC so have put the climate control to lo.  In car blowers come on but the ones on the radiator do not

2. Fans can be moved manually so aren't stuck

3. Found a 5a fuse (number 4) in the fuse box which says it is for the radiator fans.  Fuse is fine, gave the terminals a clean (although not really dirty), with the fuse pulled out I measure 12v across the fuse holder I took the fuse out without ignition and it drops slightly when I put the ignition on.

After a bit of googling I found

1. Seems like a failed fan control unit is common although not a cheap (or easy - discussions around cutting/ soldering wires) gamble. Anyone know of a way to get greater indication whether this is the source of the issue.

2. There appears to be a relay/ fuse elsewhere although unclear where.  I have read a 60a fuse somewhere under the dash?  Anyone know where these are?  Also how can i test the relay?  I have a multimeter for the fuse.

Any other trouble shooting I can try?

thanks in advance

Lee.

Hi,

Quick update.  With the engine running,and climate at lo, if manually turn the large fan it works for a little while and then stops.  Turn manually again and it starts again.  With ignition on but engine off it doesn't work.  I thought the smaller one also did this but seems to have stopped altogether now,