HELP NEEDED!!!

Had92

Recently noticed a thick build up of yellow gunk under the oil cap of my audi a3 1.6 (2000) and it smells of petrol within the oil. The dip stick is clean and has no signs of mayo gunk. The car still starts up perfect with no signs of smoke and runs smooths with no over heating problems. Have a gut feeling it's head gasket but would appreciate anyone's help. Thanks.

Hello Hauden,

Please do not suspect head gasket issues until proved to be so.

What you describe can be typical of the effects of condensation, and can be aggravated by short runs, when the engine does not operate at optimum temperature for long enough.

If this were mine, I would be acquiring 5 litres of fresh oil ( I only use Quantum Longlife 3 - as was recommended by VAG, and available on the auction site), - please check your grade, if not 5w/30, a quality oil filter ( I only use Mann if not using Audi) , before removing the ‘mayo’ build up, and taking the car on a 20 mile run. Switch off and again clean off any remaining ‘mayo’ before draining off the old oil, fitting the new filter and refilling to the max. mark with the/new oil, and checking for any leaks. 

It would be wise to take the car on another 20 mile run and again remove any remaining ‘mayo’. Changing the oil again in 1K may be worthwhile. 

One question I would ask is:- does the car use coolant? If it doesn’t use coolant then your ‘mayo’ just cannot be due to head gasket issues.

Perhaps you can let us know if the car is used on short runs, and if it does use coolant.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I guess it would not have been possible to have amended your thread heading once entered, otherwise the wording would not have been in capitals. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Hauden,

Please do not suspect head gasket issues until proved to be so.

What you describe can be typical of the effects of condensation, and can be aggravated by short runs, when the engine does not operate at optimum temperature for long enough.

If this were mine, I would be acquiring 5 litres of fresh oil ( I only use Quantum Longlife 3 - as was recommended by VAG, and available on the auction site), - please check your grade, if not 5w/30, a quality oil filter ( I only use Mann if not using Audi) , before removing the ‘mayo’ build up, and taking the car on a 20 mile run. Switch off and again clean off any remaining ‘mayo’ before draining off the old oil, fitting the new filter and refilling to the max. mark with the/new oil, and checking for any leaks. 

It would be wise to take the car on another 20 mile run and again remove any remaining ‘mayo’. Changing the oil again in 1K may be worthwhile. 

One question I would ask is:- does the car use coolant? If it doesn’t use coolant then your ‘mayo’ just cannot be due to head gasket issues.

Perhaps you can let us know if the car is used on short runs, and if it does use coolant.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. I guess it would not have been possible to have amended your thread heading once entered, otherwise the wording would not have been in capitals. 

Hello Gareth, thanks for the information and I'll be sure to follow step by step of what you've suggested. As far as I'm aware I'm seeing no loss of coolant and it's not been driven for the last two weeks been too afraid in case it was the head gasket going lol. But I'll be sure to keep you updated on how it goes. Once again I appreciate your help 👍

• Like 1

You are very welcome Hauden. Of course, you may wish to get your trusted local garage to change the oil and filter for you rather than DIY. Slight problem is that they rarely allow the old oil to get hot before draining it, and seldom have time to allow it to drain long enough - time is money! 

Good luck with it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. My great grandfather hailed from Wem, so there’s a bit of the border’s lad within the Welsh roots! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello I have 2001 1.6 I have this happen now and again for years, no head gasket failure or other issues.

Check out as advised but for me its just slight condensation as the engine warms and cools. 

• Like 1

Hello GS,

It’s good to share your experience. Many thanks for that.

Let’s hope Hauden gained reassurance, but it seems he has not been on this forum since early May. Shame really, since it’s always useful to have the promised feedback. 

Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth.