Audi a5 3.0tdi 09 oil leak

Nytram

Hi there. I am new to the forum. Just looking for some info about an oil leak that has developed on my a5. Showed up as an oil leak but no excessive a few months ago on my mot, however I have now got some random scattering of oil on the floor where I park. Someone I know has had a quick look and says it seems to around the exhaust manifold. Does anyone know what this could be that's leaking? Thanks

To my knowledge there are no reported common places for oil leaks on the V6 diesels. Therefore, without pictures it’s going to be very hard to help you diagnose the source of this leak.

I actually doubt that it will be a leak from the manifold itself as the only source of oil would be from the internals of the engine which would indicate that there was a problem that would be producing smoke from the exhaust while driving, you haven’t mentioned an issue with a smokey exhaust? 

This would lead me to suggest the oil is coming from above the manifold, dribbling down and collecting on it. The usual suspect would be the rocker cover gasket. Has this car had any work done to it’s engine in the past?

Final question is, did the MOT bloke not tell you the source? Does it say on the MOT print out?

Hi thanks for your reply. It doesn't say anything with the mot. My mate just said it looked to be around the exhaust manifold. In the last six months it has had high pressure fuel pump replaced and all 6 injectors. Clutch and flywheel around a year ago.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...