A6 Avant 50 TDI Quattro sluggish at times

Wooks63

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, as I need a courtesy car while the work is being carried out, I’ve got to wait until 26th June before it can be done.

Hope the update is still going well?

Thanks for the update on your software update:thumbs_up:

So there is an update that will allegedly solve this problem but this takes more than a few minutes to do, hence the courtesy car requirement.

I presume this is the only update being carried out or is there more than the throttle lag and so more time needed to complete?

Hi. The Service Dept said I could wait but that it would be at least 2 hours and possibly longer so I left the car with them. Dropped off at 1030 and collected it about 1700. My wife brought me back and dropped me off. As you say courtesy cars were mot available.

it is always difficult to know if something is a perfect fix but the car does not hesitate when pulling away anymore and feels much nicer to drive. Seems like the full fix to me. I think you will enjoy the dramatic change. As the car is eager, immediate  and has smooth power delivery.

Looking forward to hearing your own experience.

Can’t wait for the update 😁.

I'm having a courtesy car as the car is also having a service and oil change, so not just the software update.

Hi Wooks - I also asked them to top up the AdBlue. It wasn’t indicating as needed but got it done anyway.

Thanks for the advice on the software update in May. My local dealer updated and seems much better, although only drove home.

There was also an MMI recall/ update, which they did at the same time. Not sure what it was fixing. 

Hi Hutchys - it was Caffnys Audi Eastbourne.

Thanks AlexR,

That is good to know as I am getting my A6 Allroad from them, when it is eventually delivered. Now I know they do the update I can ask for this to be completed before delivery to me.

I think this should certainly be part of the PDI.

4 hours ago, Gary East said:

Its a software update you need i have the same car and just got it back today and its much better

I guess you didn’t read any of the other posts in this topic 😂

Car’s going into the dealer in 2 weeks time, so can’t wait to be able to drive the car I thought I’d originally bought!

On 6/4/2020 at 4:56 PM, Norton said:

Thanks for the advice on the software update in May. My local dealer updated and seems much better, although only drove home.

There was also an MMI recall/ update, which they did at the same time. Not sure what it was fixing. 

I've had chance to have a proper drive now. Substantially better. It now drives like an Audi! 

• Like 2

Hey all, good read on the sluggish pull away problem with A6 50 TDI, My Audi dealer has confirmed that my gearbox software is 100.01 and that the new software 100.04 is now available for my vehicle, in fact, it is going in this week for the update, I hope I notice the difference like some of you have, as waiting for the car to respond whilst pulling out onto roundabouts is embarrassing if not dangerous, Although it is fun when the car responds, well in my eyes it is but not the wife’s!!, I let you know how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine’s going in tomorrow. Really hope that once it’s done the car drives like the car I thought I was originally buying 😁

Hi, yes had update done, however, I think it’s improved but only slightly, it’s not transformed the car that’s for sure, sometimes I think that’s an improvement and sometimes I think nah this is not any different to before.

They advised that it did not upload the first time of trying so I am wondering if it has been uploaded on the second attempt. I am going to have it checked again as there is still hesitation, some of the other guys are claiming a remarkable improvement, I’m not, 

Wooks63, be good to hear your thoughts, manage your expectations in advance as mine were, no hesitation and as soon as you hit the throttle, whoosh you were away, alas, this is not the case.

I will let you know once I get it rechecked

Oh dear, that's not very encouraging. Hopefully this time tomorrow I’ll have the car back so I’ll be able to say what my first impressions are. Trouble is, even now, sometimes when I get in the car, it feels OK, and then other times it’s a total nightmare. It’s as if it has to load everything from scratch each time you start the car up, and sometimes it loads fine and other times it doesn’t.

At the end of the day, all I want is a car that pulls away from junctions or onto roundabouts that doesn’t scare the life out of me because it decides to think about things for a couple of seconds before responding - not a lot to ask, I wouldn’t have thought?

I’ve had at least 4 near misses to date the thing is the cars are unsafe at present and should be taken off the road before some one is killed

its not like they don’t know about it is it

Odd that the update did not ‘take’ first time. Wonder if it was properly applied or has somehow reverted. Also it is important that the correct update is applied. My car feels substantially better. You could try asking to find out exactly what symptoms the update applied is designed to fix. 

Well, the car has gone in. I kept mentioning the software update, but the girl kept saying yes, it’s down for the recall. Had a quick check online and it does appear there’s a couple of recalls, one to do with the airbags and the other is replacing the starter generator.

Just hope that they will also perform any software/firmware updates as a matter of course.

Was offered a deal on servicing. Today’s oil change service is about £361. The next service will be a major one, costing around £425. But if I paid £475 today (I can’t remember the exact figures) then this will cover today’s and next year’s service. Sounded like a good deal to me.

Thanks Alex,

I am waiting for the Technician to come back to me confirming what has been done (Mon), i might take it to Caffyns in Eastbourne (not answering the phone at the moment) if the reply is not what i want to hear.

Wooks63,

I hope you have a feeling of ‘all your Christmas’s have come at once’ - let us all know when you can

OK, so I’ve got the car back. Only a 10 minute drive down dual carriageway to get home so not really any time to test if there’s any improvement. To be honest, my initial impression is that there’s no change.

Is there any way I can find out on the MMI what version of software/firmware I’ve got? On my invoice, all it said was that the service was carried out and no issues found.