A6 Avant 50 TDI Quattro sluggish at times

Wooks63

Hi Wooks63

I do not believe it is in the MMI however, I may stand corrected on this, AlexR appears to have seen a significant difference so I am homing in on what works were carried out on his car, unless Alex was experiencing what we are now and his car was a lot worse than ours to start!

I have tried to contact Caffyns Eastbourne but to no avail, AlexR, can you confirm who you spoke to or do you know who the Technician was that worked on your car?

cheers

Hi 

I am no expert but I am not convinced you are getting the correct update only the ‘recall’ one.

As far as I know the MMI is a ‘recall’ update but the gearbox update is not. I got the impression that the Software update affecting ‘drive-off’ behaviour had to be specifically located by the Lead Technician. This followed a letter to the dealer setting out my concerns.
The update that matters is specifically for the ‘step off’ delay and certainly works.

Having now driven several hundred miles (including Sussex to Aberdeen and back) the way the car pulls away is much much better and in my view is acceptable. The roundabout case is no longer an issue. However I think ‘kick down’ response from say 50mph could possibly be better. In the latter case the car takes off instantly if a lower gear is pre-selected in Manual. This leads me to conclude that the engine itself is nicely responsive. Perhaps a future update could help with this.

It would be very helpful if Audi promulgated all available updates for each car so owners are appraised as to what is available.

Hi Alex, I think you are correct,

I managed to speak to the Workshop Manager (Russell) at Caffyns Audi Eastbourne, he was very helpful, i mentioned you had had the ‘drive off’ gearbox update done and that you felt the car drives a lot better. Russell advised that if you could call him and give him your Registration number he can then cross reference my software with yours and then carry out the same update, would you be kInd enough to oblige?

Number is 01323 344062

Please let me know, If this works then no doubt Wooks63 and others could follow up accordingly.

Many thanks

The fact that every time I mentioned that there was an update which improves the performance and the reply I got back was about a recall update makes me suspect that the update I wanted hasn’t been installed.

I will get in touch with them and try and find out if this is the case. I will not be impressed if it hasn’t been done as I lost count of the number of times I said there was an update which improves performance which is currently dire!

Much appreciated Alex,

Please let me know when you’ve made contact and I will contact Caffyns and of course will update on the findings,

Wookes63, I will find out as much as I can reference the software fix to hopefully assist you too.

Hi Jenna

have just spoken with Russell and he has the details of my car and its Software Status.

ATB

Alex

I’ve had a reply back from my dealer. All they did was the MMI update and he reckoned that there are no other outstanding updates.

Can someone can let me have the full details of this update so that I can go back to them please?

Thanks.

Hi Martin,

I spoke to Audi today, I was advised that you need to inform your dealer you have a ‘slow to accelerate’ when pulling away concern with the car. I believe this is not a recall, however, if a delay is experienced then there is a software update available - in other words you need to be persistent and demand they drive the car to understand the problem.

I was advised the TPI (Technical Product Information) code is 2053287/11, i was also advised to switch off my stop/start system as this can be over enthusiastic and may need adjusting, I tried this and the car did appear to pull away better, my car is being crossed checked with AlexR’s car to ensure I’ve got the same update as his, once I hear back I will let you know.

1 hour ago, Jenna said:

Hi Martin,

I spoke to Audi today, I was advised that you need to inform your dealer you have a ‘slow to accelerate’ when pulling away concern with the car. I believe this is not a recall, however, if a delay is experienced then there is a software update available - in other words you need to be persistent and demand they drive the car to understand the problem.

I was advised the TPI (Technical Product Information) code is 2053287/11, i was also advised to switch off my stop/start system as this can be over enthusiastic and may need adjusting, I tried this and the car did appear to pull away better, my car is being crossed checked with AlexR’s car to ensure I’ve got the same update as his, once I hear back I will let you know.

That’s brilliant! Thank you

Just a quick update on the ‘slow to accelerate’ issue, the above TPI that’s required is as above 2053287/11 but more importantly, this is an Engine ECU update and not a gearbox update as such, the software update is 4K0907401K, I have looked into this using my OBD11 Dongle (snap shot attached showing the latest software has been uploaded) and had this verified by two Audi garages, i am also pleased to say that when you drive in Auto or sport there is a difference in pulling away and changing up and down through the gears, i was driving in comfort mode before and this setting all though improved is still a more sedate driving experience.

Martin, do you have an OBDeleven device as you can check instantly if you have the latest software installed as per the attached?

The car also feels better each time i drive it and Audi confirmed this is also due to the car getting used to my driving characteristics, anyway, hopefully this is the end of my issues i have been experiencing as described above.

AlexR many thanks for your support on this.

87526920-6E85-4B55-9BD2-4F1E6BF7EA6A.jpeg

Thanks for this information. I don’t have an ODB11 dongle, so will have to rely on my dealer to install the correct update. But I do know for sure that they didn’t apply it as they didn’t seem to know anything about it!

I’ve passed this onto my contact at my Audi dealership and hopefully they’ll be able to do the necessary 🤞🏻

Fantastic and incredibly helpful detail Jenna.

Very pleased that together we are managing to get some insight into this issue that must affect so many cars. However I am amazed that the update does not seem to be Immediately obvious and visible to dealers and appears to require a level of tenacity and persistence to obtain it. This can’t be the best way to do things.

As I mentioned above it seems such a shame that all available Updates and TPIs are not clearly visible to Customers as this would enable us to proactively go and benefit from available improvements without having to ‘hope’ that all available updates will be applied at the next visit.

Audi should consider ‘pushing’ this information to the Audi App or better still updating over the air.

My dealer has found the update and is going to install it next Tuesday. Hooray!

Apparently they will only install it on cars which are displaying the problem and as the message hadn’t filtered down to the service guys, that’s why they didn’t install it (although I suspect they didn’t know anything about it until I gave them the information). So does that suggest that there are owners out there with the version of the software I’ve got who are happy with their performance? Would seem strange that the same engine performs differently in different cars.

Jenna - Have looked at the ODBeleven website. Seems very reasonably priced. However, as someone who only knows where to put the diesel and screen wash in the car, would it really be of much use to me? 😂. And where is the ODBII port? Inside the passenger compartment (around the driver’s area?) or under the bonnet? Is it something that will alert me to potential problems before I know about them? Would Audi start to get stroppy if they know I’ve been using one? Thanks for any info.

Had a chat with Jenna today. He mentioned that there is a gearbox software update that was released in March.

As one of my issues is that the car sometimes seems very reluctant to change up gears, I’ve mentioned this to my dealer, but they reckon that the May update fixes both my slow acceleration and reluctance to change gears issues.

I’ve asked what, then, does the March update fix but so far they haven’t come back to me.

Anyone got any more information?

According to my dealer, they think that the May update also includes the March update although they are going to check

9 hours ago, Wooks63 said:

Had a chat with Jenna today. He mentioned that there is a gearbox software update that was released in March.

As one of my issues is that the car sometimes seems very reluctant to change up gears, I’ve mentioned this to my dealer, but they reckon that the May update fixes both my slow acceleration and reluctance to change gears issues.

I’ve asked what, then, does the March update fix but so far they haven’t come back to me.

Anyone got any more information?

I have noticed that I sometimes could be pulling away from junctions/roundabouts quicker too.
Reading all your comments/interactions...do I specifically have to mention this to the dealership when the car goes in for a service to get the appropriate update or do they just update the whole system/car?

Thanks

Hi MartinLHW.

You have to mention the issues you’ve got and that there is an update that fixes it. If you don’t, the only updates they will automatically install are recall updates. This particular update, for some reason, is not considered a recall update, which personally I find ridiculous, as clearly it’s a dangerous issue which could result in us having an accident.

@Wooks63 I completely agree with you that its hazardous/dangerous. I have had a few close encounters and folk tooting their horns at me. It's like you accelerate it does almost nothing in first gear then jumps to second gear and at almost 2000-2500rpm you get a big jolt of acceleration like an aircraft take off! My last car was an A4 2.0T petrol and it took off much quicker and safer.

I know i already started another thread on this but seeing some of the other users on here are on the newest software/firmware especially for the MMI. I was wondering if anybody else has managed to integreate Amazon Alexa into their Audis? According to the Audi video clip found online, it's a very simple process of clicking on 'Users' from the main menu and selecting the profile you want and logging into your Audi Account. From there, there should be a QR code for you to scan with your smartphone to open a link to your amazon account for you to log in and approve access to Amazon Alexa with the Audi vehicle but mines doesn't bring up any QR Codes. Is this because I have yet to receive the latest MMI Updates that I've been reading other audi a6 c8 owners have been receiving lately or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

Martin