A6 Avant 50 TDI Quattro sluggish at times

Wooks63

Hi all, 

Thanks for this great thread.  My A7 50 TDI (2020) has the same issue upon "Pulling away / acceleration characteristics".

I've tried to contact to Dealer in South Korea where I live in, and got confirmation that they cannot find out the software update with TPI, since TPI number could be different among countries. However, they can help me to solve the issue, if I provide them the corresponding SVM code.

I am sure I am the first man who try to solve this issue in South Korea, and would like to get a SVM code if you can help me to figure out it. 

I've tried with following information, but all information were not in their system.

TPI: TPI 2053287/11

TPI: 2060454/1 (released in Aug 2020; I've got this from another similar thread)

Software number: 4K0907401K (v03)

Software update: 23CK

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks, 

Found this thread as I was looking into my issue; Took delivery of my A6 50 TDI Avant Black Edition in December (Came from a 40TDI S-Tronic, didnt get chance to test drive before ordering due to lockdown) and having issues where you accelerate from stand-still it's slow to pick up, but it holds the revs fairly high whilst the speed builds (akin to how a multi-tronic/CVT operates). 

I have OBD11 and can see my SW version is 4K0907401F which suggests it's not had any updates since build; To the folks that have had their SW updated; do you know what the version was before update? 

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Does your new 50TDI hesitate at pulling away? Reason why I ask is I thought this was resolved through an ecu update back in 2020.

I have a new 50TDI Vorsprung being delivered on 1st March so was hoping there was no reoccurrence of this issue of old.

My previous 50TDI had the update and this was a notable improvement. I thought 4K0907401F was the latest update,…

Jenna

20 hours ago, Jenna said:

Hi Steve,

Does your new 50TDI hesitate at pulling away? Reason why I ask is I thought this was resolved through an ecu update back in 2020.

I have a new 50TDI Vorsprung being delivered on 1st March so was hoping there was no reoccurrence of this issue of old.

My previous 50TDI had the update and this was a notable improvement. I thought 4K0907401F was the latest update,…

Jenna

Morning Jenna, 

It does a bit. The only way I can describe is is akin to the old CVT/Multi-tronic gearboxes; under part throttle/medium acceleration, the revs climb and the thing growls, but it holds the revs as the speed builds as opposed to the S-Tronic i've just come from, which would just accelerate (Revs & Speed grow). I've not been able to get a video just yet...It's not ideal, all noise and no go 😞

I think 401K is the latest, but my car came from a broker/fleet centre, so I dont know what it would have had by way of updates before it was delivered to me.... I'm inclined to think it's as it came from the factory. 

Was just looking to see if others had 401F and a starting point and ended up with 401K, so I could ask the dealer when it goes in for it's 2nd key (BTW if your supplying dealer/broker didnt make you aware, it might only come with 1.5 keys - 2 metal keys, but only 1 remote; it's then subject to service call 57I3).

Steve, sounds like what I was experiencing and got use to even after my software update (although the update did improve the lag), I will check what software my new A6 has when it arrives, I covered 50K + miles in two years in my old A6 c8 Avant, the hesitation was there from say 30mph when you wanted to move quickly, however, I got use to this and adapted my driving so didn’t give it a second thought, I drove my car in comfort mode mostly, if I knew I was going to get my elbows out then I switched to auto or dynamic and the car responded instantly.  As I say, it wasn’t an issue for me as the A6 is a limousine most if time and then a high performance machine when required, clearly didn’t bother me as I’ve ordered another one!

Hope this helps

Jenna

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 6:49 PM, David S A6 said:

I heard its the 8 speed tiptronic gearbox that's the problem. Apparently the 7 speed s tronic on the smaller engines is a lot better. 

+1 for this. 

When we looked for our A6 C8 we test drove a 50tdi with the tiptronic box. Loved the engine but my wife going from always having manual to getting in the 50tdi, massively noticed the delay/sluggishness of the tiptronic box. Gorgeous engine though. 

Got into the 40tdi which has the s tronic box and was miles better. “Almost” instant gear changes. Much more comfortable to drive, in relation the snappiness of the gearbox. 

Knowing how a torque converter works, it makes sense, the delay/sluggishness in the tiptronic box. However, I believe I read that if you put the car in dynamic, it can quicken the shifts.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Kinger5542