New A7 40tdi experiences?

Bigpikle

Hi All

I'm looking at a new A7 40 tdi with the new 2.0tdi engine. I test drove one the other day and enjoyed the drive and it felt surprisingly pokey given the lack of cylinders. It also has the 7 speed gearbox and I didnt notice any lag issues.

I'm wondering if people may have any experiences with this model, although I appreciate it is a new model in the range? I've read quite a lot about niggles with the new A7 - software glitches, pre-sense problems etc etc. My concern is that I'm coming from having rejected another car that suffered a huge engine failure in its first 30 days, followed by appalling service from the brand. I'm slightly nervous the A7 still seems to have too many niggles to be trouble and hassle free? Is this a fair judgement or am I being overly sensitive to forum chatter?

I'm not interested in a premium car thats going to see me back and forth to the dealer on a regular basis. Appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

Hi, I got my A7 40 TDI back in January. I had to take it back to the dealer 8 times. The purpose of the first 7 trips was to rectify rattling issues coming from various places (mostly from the central console). The last job resulted in a full turbo replacement due to drive system failure error. It took them more than a month to source the part from a supplier and they are currently testing the car before handing it back to me. I must say, this is extremely unpleasant experience.

Ok, so posting this only to emphasise that it's possible to have a fault free experience with the A7! (In fact, I've had three Audi cars over the years (two A6s and the current A7) and they've all been faultless. I guess people tend to only reply to a thread when they've had a problem themselves and that might distort the impression you might have.

Mine's a 55tfsi (not a diesel) but it has the same 7-speed s-tronic gearbox (as did my last A6). Like I say, I've had mine new since December and have done 6000 faultless miles. None of the apparent electrical problems and glitches that apparently beset these vehicles. The only issue I've noticed, is that if you make an outgoing call via bluetooth, the virtual cockpit displays 'incoming call' for some reason ;-). I'm sure that will be fixed with a software update.

So if you like the car, go for it...

5 minutes ago, Peter Farrimond said:

Ok, so posting this only to emphasise that it's possible to have a fault free experience with the A7! (In fact, I've had three Audi cars over the years (two A6s and the current A7) and they've all been faultless. I guess people tend to only reply to a thread when they've had a problem themselves and that might distort the impression you might have.

Mine's a 55tfsi (not a diesel) but it has the same 7-speed s-tronic gearbox (as did my last A6). Like I say, I've had mine new since December and have done 6000 faultless miles. None of the apparent electrical problems and glitches that apparently beset these vehicles. The only issue I've noticed, is that if you make an outgoing call via bluetooth, the virtual cockpit displays 'incoming call' for some reason ;-). I'm sure that will be fixed with a software update.

So if you like the car, go for it...

Lucky you, I wish I had the same experience with mine. Did you go with wood or aluminium interior trim in your A7?

3 minutes ago, Peter Farrimond said:

The default s-line interior is brushed metal.. To be honest, I didn't know wood was an option - but I would not have chosen it anyway. Have the full leather pack, which looks great.

Same here, s-line with brushed aluminium. I now got the car back after full turbo replacement and noticed that door trim panels are rattling while going through uneven road surfaces. Perhaps, I am simply one of unlucky buyers who experiences never-ending problems with this new model.