Purchasing a car that as had the update done help please

den9112

Hi , I have been to look at at a A3 Convertible 2012 1.6tdi at the weekend which I paid for and picking up at the weekend.

I have just checked and found out that the previous owner had the fix done , with so much on the internet regarding people having issues is it something I should worry about as it really as got me thinking should I cancel the purchase , I did some searching and found that this could be reversed and I found a company in Macclesfield that state they can ,however their phones are down at the moment and I did send a message asking for some info,,i am quite happy getting this done if its a reasonable cost but on the other hand there are people that have had the fix and found no issues ,if I owned the car before the fix then I would know if the fix caused issues with everyday driving but to be honest I wouldn't know what to look out for after the fix ..Any help would be appreciated

Hello Dennis,

I think you raise some interesting points, and I sense some concern. Of course, bad news travels faster than good news, and there must be many owners out there who have been perfectly happy with their post-recall performance and reliability. However, as you also point out, there are many (far too many?) instances of significant and costly issues after having the recall done.

Of course, the answer about this particular car, does not rest in the depths of this forum, but with the experience of the previous keeper - if they were the ones who had the recall done. Being very pessimistic (totally over pessimistic?) do you know if this car may have been in very short term ownership prior to have been offered for sale - I.e. was the previous owner discontented with it? DVLA now make it very difficult to trace previous keepers, but can we take it you had sight of the V5 before committing to buy the car? 

Interesting that you would consider attempting to reverse the recall - personally, I don’t have any experience of this, but it could be one way out of it if you are still prepared to take it on.

Post-purchase second thoughts are normal, but if you have serious doubts about going ahead with this then I would suggest you will need to act fast and not dither. 

Not sure if any of this helps to concentrate the mind Dennis, but good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

Please note that this is just a solitary response to your post, and you may well get far more encouraging ones.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the reply , I have seen the V5 and just the one keeper who I have contacted and they have been kind enough to respond telling me they had no issues whatsoever with the car ,in fact telling me in all honesty it was the best car she had owned  and only passed it on as she needed a four door ,and she has no reason either way to tell me anything otherwise ..On the reversing the software I wanted to keep a open mind in case I felt I did get issues later and it could be done ...

Hello Dennis,

So you had already done your homework then, and the previous owner has told you that there hadn’t been any consequential issues with the car. It appears you had already answered your question, and OK, you are now into an .....it I have have any issues ....situation. 

Personally, I would just sit back and enjoy the car, and trust you too won’t have any problems. If you do - just worry about it at the time. Too much worrying is not good for you! 

Enjoy the car Dennis. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Went to a funeral last week and the closing music was ‘Always look on the bright side of life’. Superb, and so true. 

Thanks for the reply ,yes i did some homework mainly because only 6 weeks or so ago i purchased a BMW 118i convertible that turned out to have a big problem with the timming chain,it was replaced but they ommited the sump clean out along with pick up drainer thus causing issues with bottom end circulation and now i no longer have the car and lost a lot of money ...I suppose with this car i am lucky as its had just one owner from new who obvioulsy knows the car and had the decency to reply to my questions ,i also contaced the local audi and they said they will send me details of when fix was done ...Going down the rollback route is an option as i have contacted (no response yet ) a few places that do it ,just doing some pre planning in case i may need to do it ..I am just one of lives overthinkers and yes probably worries to much as i have spoken to a few other VAG owners who had no issues