Swirl marks or paint damage?

Speckle

Hi all! Just joined and this is my first post! Recently purchased my Audi A5 cabriolet 2012 1.8 TFSI! Upon purchasing and doing a few washes by hand myself I noticed marking all over the paintwork. Odd scratch here and there but nothing to cause worry. But some of these marks on the paint just don't seem to come out!! Any know what these are? And how to correct it? Is.it just bad wax ? Or actual damage and requires detailing or new top coat?

AS

Edited by Speckle
Car model number

Hello Ashley,

Sorry to hear of your issues with the paintwork. Of course, I’m not sure of the extent of the problem, in terms of how many panels are suffering from the defects you show in your video. 

Always difficult to make an accurate diagnosis without seeing the car, but from what you appear to show us, this appears to be very localised but severe lacquer peel, 

and is most likely to be due to stone chips, breaking the lacquer coating and then the lacquer delaminates around  it. The other possibility, and perhaps where I would be tempted to hang my hat (but car unseen) is that this could be due to the car being previously jet washed. I make this assumption of the cause of the lacquer damage since it seems the paint coating is not damaged - as you would expect it to be if it as due to stone chipping. 

Rectification:- From what can be seen in the video - repainting the affected panel/s. 

Did you buy this from a dealer, or was it a private sale? 

My guess is that irrespective of where you bought it, the car had probably been polished over with a coloured polish which tends to minimise the effect of the defects. A few washes later and this is removed, and unfortunately the true picuture emerges. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks for the quick reply Gareth! That was basically the case.

Washed the car a few times then all these blotches come up which I came seem to get out. There are a few stone chips here and there but it just shows up so many new marks since cleaning general dirt and grime. 

It was from a dealership and when getting to the inside hidden bits of trim it seemed there was a lot of white waxy mixture all around the hinges and all of that but same kind of thing here and there around certain paintwork too? 

Regards

Ashley 

Hello Ashley,

Paint defects being revealed as you wash the car would confirm they were there prior, but ‘masked/minimised’ to the eye via the use of coloured polish. 

The supplying dealer would have known that, and it would be well worth reacquainting them with the now revealed condition which they would have seen prior to detailing the car. 

White waxy deposits around the hinges is a good sign, and is due to sprayed white lithium grease around the hinges. Interior trim defects? More detail Ashley? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• 2 years later...
On 5/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Speckle said:

Hi all! Just joined and this is my first post! Recently purchased my Audi A5 cabriolet 2012 1.8 TFSI! Upon purchasing and doing a few washes by hand myself I noticed marking all over the paintwork. Odd scratch here and there but nothing to cause worry. But some of these marks on the paint just don't seem to come out!! Any know what these are? And how to correct it? Is.it just bad wax ? Or actual damage and requires detailing or new top coat?

AS

Not sure if you sorted the problem (was a long time ago - I have only just joined forum) but there looks to be two issues there. There are fine, almost circular swirl marks that could be rectified with a fine MOP. The blotches to me seem like normal water spots. Water spot removers are available (e.g. from cleanyourcar.co.uk) or you could use deionsed water from a filter (e.g. raceglaze.co.uk). Not sure what wash regime you may use but certainly dry the car after rinsing and try to clean the car in the shade. Cheers, Dan

• Like 1