European driving

R1gger

Hi I am thinking of buying an A6 and driving it in Germany. Can anyone advise how I can find out if the headlights need to changed for a TUV (MOT) or if there is a clever switch mechanism to enable them to be adapted to driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

Many thanks for any advice provided.

• 1 year later...

Well l did buy the A6 S-Line and have been driving it over in Germany for over a year now - it is a lovely drive and just eats up the miles 😊

However, I still have not been able to get it through a TUV. I took it to an Audi main dealer who reprogrammed the headlights to point to the other side and I now get a warning light telling me the headlights are "out of range". Then went for the TUV and it failed as the lightes were still pointing to the left (the guy even showed me when I told him Audi had converted them for me). Took the car back to Audi who spent 3 hours checking everything only to tell me that they did not recognise the headlight unit Part Numbers fitted to my car and questioned if it has ever been in a crash, which it hasn't!

So I am now looking on line as to how difficult it is to replace the headlight units and there appears to be 2 different types. One type requires the whole bumper to come off while the other can be done relatively easily

So my question is - has anyone experience of replacing A6 S-Line headlight units and how difficult was it?

Many thanks in advance.