Oil usage

konaona

My Q5 uses a litre of oil every 5000 miles, I drive it quite hard though. Was wondering if this the norm.

its a 2015 plate and done 37000 miles

Hello Mike from the Homeland,

Sorry, but I do not have experience of the ‘average’ Q5’s oil consumption, but probably someone will indeed reply with helpful experience relating to their’s. 

I would anticipate that if you consult the handbook ( which no doubt you have done) it is likely to confirm that the oil consumption you are finding is ‘within limits of expectation’ for the model. Some of course, use very little, but as with other manufacturers, VAG cover their bums and will quote limits of acceptability. 

Just a couple of points:- you say you drive this quite hard, ( and it’s difficult to assess what this translates to) but have you tried a period of driving it ‘normally’ and assess whether this makes any difference. 

Oil grade and last changed? Have you had the nice folks at Mr. Sinclair’s to give opinion on this? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

Thanks for the reply, most helpful.  Rang Sinclair Audi today (as you suggested) who were very friendly. Gareth (who I spoke to) said the usage was about average as reported by customers and referred me to the manual as you suggested.  I confess I hadn't done this before. Was  amazed to read that usage of up to 0.5 litres per 1000km can be expected. I'm feeling a bit more comfortable about it now.

Hello Mike,

Guessed that would be the considered opinion. I think, as with all marques, and engines within those marques,  some use some oil, others don’t, so manufacturers cover their posteriors by quote relatively high consumption figures.

Was that Gareth at the Bridgend branch by any chance? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.