BLB engine failure

QuattroMark

My B7 Avant suffered engine failure on Monday - driving on the M1, there was no drama, no bang or strange noises, no engine parts scattered across the carriageway just lost total power and the dashboard lit up - coasted onto hard shoulder and turned everything off - turned ignition back on - only light not showing was the oil light - turned the engine over and it cranked fast - sounded like there was no compression.

Car has been recovered but I had to carry on my journey so not had time to investigate - AA recovery chap said it was cam belt....but couldn't confirm it.

Not really up on diesels but it does sound terminal.

First thoughts?

Mark

So - managed to get a bit of time to look at this -

removed the plastic rocker cover to expose the cam and injectors - cam belt was still there, no obvious damage.

Turned the engine over...….the serpentine belt spun - but the cam belt didn't....I'm guessing the teeth on the crank pulley have stripped the belt and obviously the pistons have now hit the valves..….

don't think its worth repairing - its got 255K on the clock and this is the first time it has let me down in the 8 years of ownership.

I did look at engine reconditioning - but there are some real horror stories out there and some real scam artists!

Mark