WIFI external camera

stuAudi

Hi all, I have just got my 1st Audi ..2018 A3 S-Line saloon.... really pleased … Now my garage door isn't too wide and a bit tight getting in . I'd like to use a Wifi camera in the garage looking at the door and displaying on my display in the car to help me not damage my paintwork. Any technical assistance will be very much appreciated.

Thanks for a great forum 

You might find a solution using your phone as the display device when in your car. Than many of the IP/Security cameras might be made to work. I think it will be an uphill struggle to get it to display on the car's MMI.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Wibbly, I have that solution you suggest and it works fine was hoping for a miracle. I had a VW Jetta GT before this and it had better equipment in some respects. Can't even get the mirror to dip when I reverse, no reversing sensor display, no sensors on the front..... was expecting all that on this motor.

• 5 weeks later...

I went into a car electronics place to ask if it was possible to retro-fit a side camera, as where I live I have to pull across a path, into traffic with parked cars either side, the cars are not so much of the problem but cyclists are a complete nightmare as they bomb up between the moving traffic and the parked cars, I wouldn't be able to see them until it is too late and most don't stop even when I am edging out slowly. 

The car electronics owner said it wouldn't be a problem and that they would be able to display the picture on the cars MMI, operated by a switch. Everything sounded good until I asked for the price which they estimated would be £4,000, I didn't ask if that included VAT

Instead I fitted a night vision camera to the front number plate, connected to a WIFIAV that connects to my phone, works really well and cost less £50. Finding a suitable 12V supply was the only challenge. It takes about 30 seconds for me to connect to the camera's WiFI and get a picture, not too bad as it is more or less the time it takes me to start the car and put on the seat belt, but well worth it as I am convinced it has saved the lives of a few cyclists.

I have the same problem with parking in a tight garage, having researched the problem looking for solutions there are overhead laser beam systems that allow you to line up to a part on the car to ensure that you are lined up right, or some low tech solutions such as tyre guides on the floor, or a mirror located on the wall. I am fairly okay lining it up and actually find parking it at at a slight angle gives me more room opening the door, but I do have a bit of wood laid across the floor to prevent the car going back too far. I have a reversing camera but it isn't perfect when the garage space is so tight and all the parking senors are well out of their comfort zone. 

A side camera with a radar and audio warning would be the perfect solution should any Chinese manufacturer be reading this.

Martin   

20190320_160326.jpg

20190320_152351.jpg

I have a low tech solution to the end stop as I go forward into my garage, I have a plastic golf practice ball suspended from the ceiling at number plate height with a flag at eye level, when the flag moves I've hit the ball and stop. I tried an ip camera to help with getting in the tight door but there was too much lag so no good . This A3 is a little narrower than my old VW Jetta so I'm ok at the minute.  I like the high tech gadgets though so always on the look out, fancy a reversing camera and have seen one that replaces the boot handle. Anyone fitted one of these.