A6 Avant Roofbox

PaulAFC84

Afternoon all,

I just wanted to ask for some advice really, I am looking at getting a roofbox for my A6 Avant and I was wondering if anyone on here has had one fitted and which size they decided to go for? We’ve just come back from a week away and again had a mountain of stuff. I was looking for a Thule roofbox, but there are also lots of roofbars to choose from, and apart from the price, I can’t see a great deal of difference.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Paul

IMG_5189.JPG.2bca787c142978dfd41b189d319adb61.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG.ba54b2cdc45343e070866b88307dc2c9.JPGIMG_5188.JPG.9df7d82c36571c473aade8b2ef25b1cf.JPGIMG_5188.JPG.9df7d82c36571c473aade8b2ef25b1cf.JPG

Lots of options out there - I went for the 480 Litre Halfords option and purchased some second hand roof bars. Fairly low wind noise at motorway speeds and lots of room. I advise putting the lighter options up top to keep car centre of gravity lower and the only bind is reaching the far side fixings that are turn and lock but a bit of a stretch. 

Otherwise a must if you go camping and don't want a trailer and the speed limitations they bring. 

Envy,

Thanks very much for your advice,I’ve been trying to google images on an A6 Avant to get a rough estimate on size.Can I ask you how much yours cost? Do you leave it on the car all the time? Only I’ve heard the boxes can be quite heavy and difficult to lift.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul, 

I was a bit lucky when I bought mine 2 years ago as used a family discount card at halfords to by discounted vouchers which then qualified for additional discount in store. I recall it being around £219 (299£ online at the moment. I waited an age to try and get a decent 2nd hand one on eBay but they hold their value well. The box is not that heavy but its size makes it a 2 person job to lift into place without risk to car paint and box finishes. I only have it on the car when I need it - Wind noise is not bad but is noticeable and mpg will be lowered when the box is on the car. 

I store mine in the shed and wrap it in an old duvet cover when not in use. 

https://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/roof-bars-roof-boxes/roof-boxes/exodus-470l-black-roof-box

Hi mate,

Thanks a lot for your help on this one,I definitely will be investing in one of these. We were away last week and the car was packed full.Could do without the stress of having such a problem packing it in future.Which bars did you get for it? There are quite a few different types? 

Thanks again....

Paul

Not a problem Paul, 

I went for the Montblanc ones but only because a friend sold his A6 and brought an A7.

The roof rail system on the A6 Avant has loads of options but I would not shell out for the Audi ones when there are cheaper ones out there that are as secure. I would recommend locking feet though. If aero style bars are affordable I am certain these will reduce wind noise and drag but these can be a tad more expensive. 

It is so nice not having to be so precise when loading up for a camping trip but be mindful of the loaded weight of the car. you may exceed full up weight limits that are not normally a problem but in the event of an incident may be questioned by authorities.https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/overloading-your-car

Thanks again mate.

The biggest problem we had was packing a pram, travel cot and bedding for our little girl taking up the most room.It almost ended up like a stressful task remembering to pack the car in a certain way to get it all to fit.I will look into the aero bars and locking feet, will need this for September so I’ve got a bit of time to shop around. Did you have to torque tighten the cross bars to the Audi-fitted chrome roof rails? 

Paul

The feet on my bars have a thumb key that you screw in to tighten the back plate pins into the locating holes in the cars roof rails. These do not need to be that tight and it is all done by hand. Once tight the thumb keys fold in to be locked in place with a key. 

If you decide to buy from Halfords then they will fit it all for you and demonstrate how too if you are uncertain. The method is simple and once you get hands on it will all make sense.