Noise when decelerating

Tae

Hi all. New to forums my first time. but a wee bit troubled. So two years ago I brought my first fairly new car. It’s a Audi 1.4 TFSI on a 14 plate. So it’s been amazing. Until today. So I went to go to a friends for dinner. Driving done the road I hear a noise. I thought it sounded like a flat tyre driver side. Stopped checked. Not so continued on. Then start realising the sound comes from when I let my foot of the accelerator pedal. So sounds like maybe a flat tyre drivers side. Maybe kinda when you go over cats eyes or lot of the yellow lines in the road before a roundabout maybe like a wheel bearing  and really only when it’s de accelerating stops when I put my foot down. I’ve had a look but I’m no mechanic and looks ok. But it’s late will check better 2moro. Much appreciated for any info or diagnosis 

Hi Ben.....welcome to the Forum

As it is occurring only on over-run then it suggests that something on the engine is breaking up....my first guess is crankshaft pully harmonic balancer which can fail on the rubber insulation which bonds it together.

If this fails it can give the symptoms you describe.
A good way to test this is to run the engine for a brief period without the auxiliary drivebelt and if the noise is not present then it is the pulley at fault.

Let us know what you find

Cheers .  Trevor

Well this has blew me out the water. So I have a mechanic friend of a friend I rang explained the trouble I was having. He said for me to check my wheel bolts I said ok. He said if everything is fine accelerating and hear a kinda drowning noise when letting off. It could be the wheel bolts are loose has the car is accelerating the load is off the wheel and when I let off the load then pushes down on the wheel which in turn creates a droning noise. He was right. I checked this morning. Now I have a predicament  I had my tyres done a few weeks back. AT SUPERTYRES IN DUNSTABLE. X 2 changed then swapped front to back. My mate says I could of Stretched all the bolts maybe done further damage. It’s a personal car not driven loads. Mainly my misses. I’m now hunting the receipt. But the car has been driven on a few small journeys since the tyres where change. My guess is he semi tightened them and didn’t toque them. I’m in shock my misses went away this weekend and lucky her mum decided to drive and that I had popped out last night. 

Oh blimey!
That could have been catastrophic if the wheel had parted company with the car.

I would probably replace the wheel nuts/bolts to be on the safe side or at least take one from the other wheels and replace it the suspect ones....which should be okay in the long term.
I would also check any other wheel nuts/bolts for correct torque and if they are drastically overtightened then I would replace them all.

Let us know how you get on with it all

p.s. I have changed the post title to describe the content

Hello Ben, 

I sympathise with your problem and your understandable concern, and I think you will be wise to along with Trevor’s advice. One thing I would add is that you may well need to change the actual wheel since the will have at least taken additional stresses even if they have not elongated - which I would be surprised if they haven’t. 

I can well understand your discontent with this tyre company, but I think you might find when you look at the receipt that there will be a recommendation to check and retighten the wheel nuts after x miles, so they put the responsibility for rechecking back on the customer. This statement is generally standard wording. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.