Rear wheel hub covers - rust

Andy Varey

I have had a 2017 TTRS since November 2017. Throughout this time the rear hub covers have rusted... they have been in the garage to be rubbed down and re-strayed 3 times already, roughly at 6 monthly intervals. Has anyone else had this issue? The rear discs and pads now need replacing due to being contaminated and pitted by the rust debris.

Cheers

Hello Andy,

I as not too pleased that mine on the 2006 A3 only lasted about 10 years before they started falling apart!

Re. rubbing down and respraying:- I just cannot see the sense in doing that since the rust will never be removed by rubbing down, and I would anticipate that they have to be removed to do that. Why not simply renew them? 

As a matter of interest Andy, how is the car generally washed? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

Autoglym shampoo. The car is only half way through its warranty, Edinburgh Audi and Audi UK Customer Services don’t want to know, neither will accept responsibility for Audi GmbH using cheap metals instead of quality on a £56k car. 

No jet wash with alloy wheel cleaner then. 

Surely, if the supplying dealer has rubbed these down on 3 occasions in an attempt to rectify the rusting issue then the time involved will  already have grossly exceeded the cost of new replacement parts. 

If it were mine, I would be a trip to the Citizens Advice and take their advice on a reasonable course of action. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.