Audi A3 2.0 tdi 2004 1st and reverse getting stuck

Smout92

Hi there, hoping someone can give me a decent answer as I'm almost out of options. Car was struggling to get into 1st and reverse gear for a while. Changed transmission oil, replaced clutch with new clutch kit and have had the system bled 3 times (just to be sure). No not only does it struggle to get into gear, it also gets stuck in those gears. And the clutch begins to bite before I've lifted the pedal. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Hello, I’m sure you will appreciate that it can be very difficult to diagnose problems without inspecting the actual vehicle, but from what you describe I would have said your initial issues - and by the sound of it - your current issues could be associated with unserviceable clutch hydraulics ( although I’m surprised it not cable operated -but...).

You say you the system has been bled 3 times which is daftly unnecessary. Bled once and properly should be sufficient. Bled more than once and still not right suggests problems with either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder or both. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Thank you for the reply Gareth. Is it possible there could be a problem with the master cylinder even if there are no signs of leaking? I wouldn't have thought it was the slave as this problem was there before the clutch replacement, and that included a new slave cylinder. 

Thanks

Well if the clutch is new and the slave cylinder is new that only leaves the master cylinder as being faulty. (There's a very remote possibility of the release arm not being located properly, but let's ignore that for now.) Note that master cylinder seals can let by without there being an external leak, (the oil leaks back to the reservoir,) so I suggest you renovate or renew the MC.

As an aside I did not realise hydraulic clutches were still in use nowadays. They were common decades ago, and always struck me as easier to operate and maintain than cable systems.  I guess cables were cheaper than oil.

7 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Well if the clutch is new and the slave cylinder is new that only leaves the master cylinder as being faulty. (There's a very remote possibility of the release arm not being located properly, but let's ignore that for now.) Note that master cylinder seals can let by without there being an external leak, (the oil leaks back to the reservoir,) so I suggest you renovate or renew the MC.

As an aside I did not realise hydraulic clutches were still in use nowadays. They were common decades ago, and always struck me as easier to operate and maintain than cable systems.  I guess cables were cheaper than oil.

Thanks for the information. Will try that next and hope for the best then! I'm guessing if that doesn't fix the problem I will be looking at gearbox issues. 

Hello Adam,

When you say ...’changed .....’ do you mean you have done the work yourself or has a garage done it for you? If the latter then I would have expected them to have come up with a similar possible diagnosis. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

p.s. You don’t tell us what mileage this car has covered, but I would go forward very carefully with your belief that this might be gearbox associated. 

56 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Adam,

When you say ...’changed .....’ do you mean you have done the work yourself or has a garage done it for you? If the latter then I would have expected them to have come up with a similar possible diagnosis. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

p.s. You don’t tell us what mileage this car has covered, but I would go forward very carefully with your belief that this might be gearbox associated. 

Hi Gareth. A garage fitted the clutch as they assured me this was the reason that I was having problems. Although when they took it apart, it was apparent that a clutch replacement was necessary, but unfortunately did not solve the issue, if anything it has made it worse. The car has just covered 158000 miles. The garage also told me that if the master cylinder was the cause, then my brakes would have issues also. But I have referred to my Haynes manual and it says that the brakes and clutch have separate cylinders. Think I will replace the master cylinder anyway as that will be the cheapest option to start with. 

Thanks

Turned out to be the bearing on the end of the input shaft. Bought a shim kit for £20 and it has fixed the problem. Gears feel better than ever.