A6 intermittent alarm woes!

Demonix

Afternoon fellow A6'ers

My A6 alarm has gone on the fritz and now randomly goes off whenever it feels like it!

I have a laptop with VAG.com and a lead, scans don't indicate any faulty sensors, battery is 100% and healthy , have checked all the catches/switches and wiring / sensors for bonnet, doors, boot lid and the windows.

Had a butchers around various Audi formums and the problem may well be the alarm backup battery: - a] Not charging or able to hold charge as it's getting on for 13+ years old or b) as other A6 / A4 owners have reported the NiMH battery may have corroded and dumped corrosive shizzle all over itself and the alarm circuitry.

My question is - where the feck is the alarm backup battery located? - is it in the little black bosch box in the spare wheel well next to the main battery? - just need to find it and have a look at the state of it rather than bend over assume the position and have local Audi dealer charge an inordinate sum for the same - am happy taking the thing out and fitting the circa £110.00 replacement unit myself if that is the case, saving numerous beer tokens in the process.

Has any one on here had the same issue?

Have used the disable sensor and tilt buttons in the mean time to prevent spurious alarm activation but wan to get this sorted asap!

Thanks in advance D

Hi BMW_Mania,

Nope issue still present - vcds error code 01403 - Break glass sensor rear / 011 Open circuit - need to track it down to whether that's the sensor / filaments in the hatch or rear quarterlights - I stripped off the trim and had a cursory inspection of the wiring for both but couldn't see any obvious breaks or corrosion, need to get a multimeter and test the connections properly.

It's an irritating problem ! 

• 3 months later...