MMI/ Bluetooth Issue - Apple iPhone

Wesley949

Hi All, hope everyone is keeping well.

I have just had a Warranty repair carried out on my A6 Ultra with the MMI system and Navigation.  Ever since I picked up the car in November 2016 (from new), the Navigation system has always been slow and laggy to a point where my previous Audi (2014 A4) seemed to have a much better system.  For the past 18-months, the main issue is with the Bluetooth system, where at times, the Bluetooth in the car will either turn the Bluetooth OFF or will turn OFF the Discovery option.  Also, when making calls, the echo, crackly and distorted calls can be so difficult to hear what's being said to a point where I have had to end the call, park up and use my iPhone without pairing to my MMI to continue the call.

The original MMI version;

Software - RMC_EU_P16092 / Navigation - 8X0919884J P32-50-15.03 / Bluetooth - 3.70.3

Upon investigation at the Audi Service Centre, they did find a fault with the Navigation SD card and I was informed the MMI needed a software update.  A new Navigation SD card had to be ordered and it has now been recently fitted along with a MMI update to the version below;

Software - RMC_EU_P16342 / Navigation 8X0919884J P32-50-15.03 / Bluetooth - 3.70.6

I cannot fault the Audi Service Centre for everything they have done, but I am still experiencing issues with the Bluetooth telephone calls with the distortion issues.  I have an iPhone 8 Plus (iOS 12.3.2) and this is a replacement phone (from Apple) but my previous iPhone had the same issues.  I have had a replacement SIM (3 Store) and since the MMI and Bluetooth updates, the Reception in the car is better but some calls are still affected by the crackling and distortion.  This issue is very much intermittent.

I have even made test calls in the car whilst using my iPad to record the sound so I can show the Audi Engineer, but every time I do this test, the phone calls are normal (how typical).

Does anyone else have any iPhone-Bluetooth issues when making/receiving calls?  I have no access to any other phone, so I cannot test this option.

This was taken a few weeks ago, but the distorted noise can be heard (slightly) when making the call.  It gets worse than this at times, but I have no recordings of this.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just been back to the Audi Service Centre regarding this and the problem is most likely due to the Apple iOS Software.  I was informed that the Apple iOS Software (from the iPhone 8 to present) is causing issues with the Audi MMI system where both systems are not talking to one another.  

I have seen many Forum Threads about iOS 11 and 12 causing issues with the MMI system, although mainly with Apple Music as opposed to telephone calls.  This might even be an issue with other German manufacturers but that is just speculation. 

• 1 year later...

Morning I have a A6 ultra on a 15 plate, I am having problems with making a call or receive calls they are intermittent, I don’t know if this is a software problem or my iPhone ten but it is so frustrating. I have tried to hard set my mmi and unpaired my phone to the car and paired them again but still the same, can any one help me please.

dave 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem soon as I get out of the car and make a call my phone works perfect, but soon as my phone connects to the bluetooth in the car it connects to the call I am making but can not make out what they are saying, I have a 2015 A6 ultra car is perfect but this is a big issue for me, my wife has a Q3 new model and my phone works perfect in her car. I have also tried her phone in my car and after a short time it dose the same. I got told it might be the update on my iphone 10 but I have had the phone in to apple and they have said they done all sorts of test on the phone and everything come back ok, has anyone got any idea what this could be please.

Dave