Corrosion Warranty

Micheluzzu

I have just noticed bubbling under the paint in the centre of the lower section of the nearside rear door of my 2010 Black A8. their are no chips and the bubbling is unbroken?

Can anyone advise please.

Hello Mike,

It’s difficult to come up with an explanation without actually seeing the problem or seeing a photo. Unbroken bubbling can be associated with filled-over rust ( worse possible case), through rusting - but not yet broken the paint, or in its least worrying form, micro blistering due to actual paint application issues. Each has characteristic sizing, from larger to smaller as each possible issue has been described. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Mike,

Sorry, I missed the bit about warranty. Not sure what the warranty period actual is, and this might be a pessimistic view, but the warranty normally applies only when the car has full dealer service history where the paint inspection part has been assessed and filled in. Even then, the paint thickness will first be measured, to assess whether the panel has been resprayed, and if so, this is likely to affect the warranty. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

I was under the impession that A8s have aluminium bodywork - having said that it may have had a "steel" repair or a replacement third party door - check with a cloth covered magnet

The original poster has not been on here since he first posted his request for help.

I will bow to Joe’s superior knowledge in regard to the car being aluminium bodied, but it should be bourn in mind that aluminium corrosion does result in rust-type paint issues , as it forms a ‘white rust’ type oxide which can lift paint and lead to bubbling. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

indeed Magnet - so thats another thing to check - the info i gave was based on the 2012 A8 that i just purchased  and the info i gleaned b4 buying it as for my brain its been well  used over the years and i would never claim it to be the source of superior knowledge - lol