Audi A3 2.0 TDI EGR problem

Vinters

I am having a problem with my egr valve, brings on the glow plug light onto the dash and then loses power, garage have quoted me £700 to fix however it doesn’t often come on so I have been putting it off. Anyone else had this problem and is there any other solution? Cheers 

• 3 months later...

I'm having my a3 egr valve changed as we speak, £730. Apparently it's a common fault on A3's. From what I've learned about egr's, it's almost a waste of time having one on the car for what it does. Seems like another way of extracting money out of us.

• 5 months later...

HI, I had a fault on my 2010 A3 2.0 tdi and ended up having the egr turned off electronically and a chip and remap done at the same time taking the car to around 170bhp, worked a treat but the dpf still clogs up on a very regular basis. Think it cost around £400 about 18 months ago.

It might be worth considering the response dated Wed 26 Jul 2017 12:39  in this piece:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/119187/any---legality 

"Car Mechanics asked the DVSA for their response to fitting an EGR blanking valve and they said : "DVSA's priority is to help you keep your vehicle safe to drive, ensuring that it meets required roadworthiness and environmental standards. Vehicles may fail the MoT where emissions control equipment has been tampered with but irrespective of the MoT such modification is an offence*. DVSA continues to work with DfT to persue such offences, including taking disciplinary action against any MoT garages found to be conducting modifications."

* Road vehicles (construction and use) regulations (Regulation 61a(3)). Removal of an EGR valve, diesel particulate filter etc. will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of upto £1000 for a car or £2500 for a light goods vehicle."

Hi, Thanks for that. At the time this was the cheapest and only affordable option. I have spoken to 3 garages recently and no one wants to the take the job on as I want to turn it back to standard before I sell it on and get a Q5, to the dealer it is once this virus is all over. 

Thanks again. 

• 3 years later...

My Audi A3 has had to have an EGR fitted twice in the last 14 months, costing some £834 each time.  Apparently the warranty only lasts 12 months, yet they go soon after.  This seems to be a software fault to do with remapping for emissions but effects the EGR and another part.  I refuse to pay for another one if it goes again.   Audi should admit this is a software fault and not expect their customers to be paying for this fault.

The EGR should last much longer than that, so I believe there is something else wrong with the car. Are you telling us the car has been remapped since it was manufactured?