Phone cradle

Deeside A4

Hi,

Getting to know the Audi and its quirks, but I have a question regarding what appears to be a mobile phone cradle.

I tried to remove today but it would cause unsightly damage where it has been fitted. 

It is a genuine Audi unit and I'm wondering what phone this would be for and if there is anything missing to enable me to use it?

Any advise would be appreciated.

20190721_190253.jpg

• 3 months later...

This is the mount for the phone cradle, you still need the part to hold a phone (mostly old bricks) but i think you can find ones for an iPhone 4, I’m seen people modify them. There is also a universal adaptor which i think allows you to connect your phone via bluetooth. The owners manual for my A3 any car with a phone system will be able to connect via Bluetooth but I’m not sure of this is true and you need to plug the phone into the cradle in order to connect. Even then I think its just for calls not media. Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...
On 11/20/2022 at 3:27 PM, Ali78 said:

I want to buy the phone to sit in it. I don’t want to be able to use it! Any ideas?

man, why would you want to, it will be the oldset phone know to man 

I had the same thing when I bought my car , could see it would leave a mess if removed so bought a 3D printed cradle that was designed especially for that car and holes. Turned up and fitted so badly I sold it and instead ordered a second hand centre section and just replaced it . So you go from this 

IMG_1082.thumb.jpeg.8a4166cd6fa0c8213910f2b418ef7b20.jpeg

to this 

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.ce2161c381f66c8ad35c1b4ca345a9c9.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As stated above if you remove it you get left with this mess. 

IMG_1083.thumb.jpeg.66a1b0e244decee5e1ba0cf3e7eedf0a.jpeg

I knew that I was going to change it so left it taped over as best as I could until I could source a centre console. Unfortunately there is no easy way to get rid of the holes unless you are an expert at filling in holes using plastic putty and even then you will still see the marks, or you get something to cover the holes or like me you replace the entire centre console. Not cheap but by far the best method. 

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about what to do with this...

I have superglued a Hard Drive magnet to the cradle - and also glued one to an old phone case on my iphone. The phone cradle is now magnetic lol and my phone sits on there lovely.

Works fine! Better than not using the cradle at all and it just being an ornament.

Edited by cpjvej2016

3 hours ago, cpjvej2016 said:

I have been thinking about what to do with this...

I have superglued a Hard Drive magnet to the cradle - and also glued one to an old phone case on my iphone. The phone cradle is now magnetic lol and my phone sits on there lovely.

Works fine! Better than not using the cradle at all and it just being an ornament.

Good idea 🙂👍

• 6 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Swisstony said:

man, why would you want to, it will be the oldset phone know to man 

I had the same thing when I bought my car , could see it would leave a mess if removed so bought a 3D printed cradle that was designed especially for that car and holes. Turned up and fitted so badly I sold it and instead ordered a second hand centre section and just replaced it . So you go from this 

IMG_1082.thumb.jpeg.8a4166cd6fa0c8213910f2b418ef7b20.jpeg

to this 

IMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.ce2161c381f66c8ad35c1b4ca345a9c9.jpeg

Hi there. I’ve just got mine and I want to do the same, replace the phone cradle but also put in a multimedia unit like yours. What size/type did you get? When search for the centre console what do you look for? Sorry I’m new to this but pretty able to do diy. Many thanks.