Gearbox Problem - 2008 2.0 TDI Sline Automatic

Lut

Hi all

I recently bought a 2008 Audi A6 2.0 TDI Sline Automatic transmission (7 gear). 

This is my first Audi and my dream car actually, but it has a problem.

When I park the car and put the gear into the P mode, the gear is stuck in the park mode. When I want to drive it again, I need to reset it from a hole, just under the ashtray. In someone else's words, 
'If your car is stuck in park and won't shift out, ... look under the ashtray and you'll see a hole, into which you can stick something to disengage the lock (white button) that prevents the car from going into drive when it's in park.'

By the way, It is stuck 5 in 10 times. The problem does not exist all the time.

I do not know any mechanics around here and I am not good at understanding car problems. I will go to a local garage this Wednesday, but I do not know them.

May I ask if anyone had a similar problem before? I will be very happy if you give me an idea about how much it will probably cost.

Looking forward to hearing from you very soon.

Many thanks,
Lut

• 4 weeks later...

have you had the gearbox oil changed? i have heard this is an important oil change as a new gear box is ridiculous money. the oil is not cheap, about £120 per litre and requires about 5-6 litres. i have a receipt from when i bought my car and it was £750+ vat.

9 hours ago, wozza_t said:

have you had the gearbox oil changed? i have heard this is an important oil change as a new gear box is ridiculous money. the oil is not cheap, about £120 per litre and requires about 5-6 litres. i have a receipt from when i bought my car and it was £750+ vat.

Thanks for your reply. I have no idea about the gearbox oil change. Previous owner gave me many receipts, but none of them includes gearbox oil I am afraid. I will ask the mechanic about it.

• 5 months later...