Coolant leak

conor

Hi,

I have an Audi A3 2.0 TDI 2009 reg. About 6 months ago the car started leaking coolant - I was noticing a smell of coolant around the engine on the drivers side. The leak was confirmed by the car running out of coolant a couple of times and I had to top it up. The car never overheated during this time, I just got a warning on the dashboard and topped it up when this happened.

I took it to the garage and they tested the coolant (some kind of pH test?) to see if exhaust fumes were getting into the coolant. It was decided that the headgasket had gone. The head taken off, pressure tested for leaks, a new gasket put on and when I got the car back, almost immediately I realised it was still leaking coolant - it absolutely stunk of it. And the engine light was coming on for a few days at a time and going off (the error code referred to a coolant valve being jummed open or something).

The garage couldn't find a leak initially, but the car started juddering in 5 and 6th gear, running out of coolant more regularly and when I took it back they tested the coolant again and decided the gasket hadn't been fitted properly. They also replaced a part for re-circulating the exhaust fumes which apparently had got clogged up with oil and rubbish from the head going.

The car went back to the garage, head the head gasket re-fitted, re-checked and I got it back. 3 days later I'm noticing a smell of coolant again, and the engine warning light has come on. Has anyone had a similar problem/any ideas what to do?

My suspicion is that the original diagnosis of a faulty head gasket was wrong. Testing the acidity (which is what pH measures,) is not conclusive proof of such a leak to my mind. I suspect your leak is elsewhere. Can you see any wet patches or antifreeze stains anywhere around the engine when it is up to full temperature?