Brake servo restricted

Stevie84
聽Share

Hi Steve, the only fault that was on the history was tyre pressure, nothing on brakes/ABS. I read another post that also reported this was the case. The garage owner however did not give up and contacted this support team and they confirmed this is normal and the pressure sensor should be replaced before the car is driven again, they are hopeful the ABS unit has not been damaged.

3 hours ago, PHB said:

Marc, did it fix the problem? My car goes in tomorrow.

Yes the brake servo is a okay now but I have the ABS light on now but the car drives and stops fine. I took it to a mechanic that I know he gave it a diagnostic test he can switch that of as it needs to go to Audi to switch it off. I love the car but thinking about part exchanging it sadly聽

Hi Marc.聽

Did Audi manage to switch it off? I have the same problem and they said it can't be cleared and the ABS control unit and hydraulic part need replacing. I also had sent it to audi Nottingham.聽

Dev

39 minutes ago, DevQ7 said:

Hi Marc.聽

Did Audi manage to switch it off? I have the same problem and they said it can't be cleared and the ABS control unit and hydraulic part need replacing. I also had sent it to audi Nottingham.聽

Dev

Hello no I haven鈥檛 taken it to the main dealership yet. I have a very busy week will speak to them next week. If they can鈥檛 help the car will be sold I will buy another Audi聽

7 hours ago, Marc69 said:

Hello no I haven鈥檛 taken it to the main dealership yet. I have a very busy week will speak to them next week. If they can鈥檛 help the car will be sold I will buy another Audi聽

Will not buy聽

I thought the ABS units could聽be refurbished at a fraction on a new unit or am I wrong.

Just picked up my car from the garage after having the pressure sensor replaced, all appear to be fine. I really think this should be a recall item as it is a known fault and being brakes聽a safety issue. Does anyone know how we can bring it to the attention of Audi, any contacts etc as the main dealers do not appear to be interested.

2 hours ago, PHB said:

Just picked up my car from the garage after having the pressure sensor replaced, all appear to be fine. I really think this should be a recall item as it is a known fault and being brakes聽a safety issue. Does anyone know how we can bring it to the attention of Audi, any contacts etc as the main dealers do not appear to be interested.

Glad it's sorted. Might be worth sending an email to Audi customer services in Milton Keynes. Or contact watchdog etc.聽

2 hours ago, Gerard king said:

Hi i have Audi 161 20.tdi.with same problem. Brake severo聽 coming up. Hade it in Audi workshop today and said it well cost 3000 euro to fix is this wrong .

Hi if it鈥檚 just the brake servo it is an easy fix cost me 拢80 and it took me 5 minutes to change very easy聽

Just now, Marc69 said:

Hi if it鈥檚 just the brake servo it is an easy fix cost me 拢80 and it took me 5 minutes to change very easy聽

Brake pressure servo sensor聽

14 hours ago, PHB said:

I thought the ABS units could聽be refurbished at a fraction on a new unit or am I wrong.

I was told by an ex-Audi mechanic that it could but when he sent mine off to be fixed they returned it saying it couldn't and that a new one would be needed at a cost of 拢3k. Thats when i took it to Audi and they confirmed that it needed replacing.聽

I agree that they really need to look into this as its such a vital component of the car that has this fundamental error. Its good/lucky for聽most of the people on here, that they managed to get the sensor replaced in time but for the ABS unit to be irreparable after driving a few miles is a flawed design fault and needs to be investigated.聽

Email the customer services on聽customer.services@audi.co.uk and the director on聽andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk聽

I have emailed Audi but we need all those that have had this failure to contact Audi. They have replied saying they will investigate.聽

Hello Peter,

It will be interesting to hear of your progress.

Re. recalls, it would be helpful to know what VAG鈥檚聽worldwide actions聽has been in terms of this, since it鈥檚 reasonable to suspect that this might vary according to what may be considered acceptable actions in certain countries.

USA may be a good place to start your homework.聽
Kind regards,

Gareth.聽

1 hour ago, PHB said:

I have emailed Audi but we need all those that have had this failure to contact Audi. They have replied saying they will investigate.聽

Can you put the address on here so we can all email it should be a stronger voice please聽

The address was on a previous post but it is聽customer services oncustomer.services@audi.co.uk and the UK director on聽andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk

12 minutes ago, PHB said:

The address was on a previous post but it is聽customer services oncustomer.services@audi.co.uk and the UK director on聽andrew.doyle@audi.co.uk

Thanks I will email later this afternoon thanks聽

I've sent separate emails to both those, and even dropped Top Gear a message to see if they'd run a story on it. I'm not holding my breath there, but no harm in asking.

I have just had a phone call from Andrew Doyle's Executive Customer Relations Manager to say they are not aware of any聽issues with the sensor聽or the ABS braking system and as I had the sensor replaced at an independent garage and not a Audi main dealer they can not investigate it. I explained that I went to an independent garage as the Main Dealer, that has been looking after the car, could not book it in until mid July.聽I said I am concerned that the sensor could fail again, luckily this time I was local, next time it聽might be difference. My confidence level with the car is now low but hopefully I will be proved wrong as I like the car. Thanks to the members that advised me聽to get the sensor changed before I damaged the ABS unit.

• Like 1

I've sent an email to both emails too. I'm waiting for a reply saying similar that they've not heard of it and sensor wasn't changed at audi etc etc but let's see. Next step will be trading standards / Watchdog.聽

Some good info on here thanks, though fear I might have found it too late 馃槥.

After a recent service, I had a sporadic 'Brake Servo: restricted. You can continue driving. Please contact workshop' message. I intended to call and discuss with the dealer, but it disappeared and I saw no obvious change to braking.

This message then recently returned and I noticed a light clicking/grinding sound when applying the break at very low speeds (crawling in traffic/slowing for expected traffic light changes/parking), before I've had chance to book in for inspection following it's return, it's now switched over to 'Brakes: fault. Safely stop vehicle' and the red warning, there are no other lights, no ABS light etc.

I'm calling the dealership shortly,聽but with what I've seen in the thread I'm fearful that I've progressed through the 'You can continue driving......' -> '......therefore knackering the ABS' trap 馃槥

Particularly galling, as I made the switch to an Audi on reputation (and that I've always wanted one) but also necessity, when my Ford Focus trashed it's engine due to a 'known fault' with the Ecoboost cooling system and temperature reporting... Effectively wrecking it's own head gasket/engine one fateful ten minute drive. At 20k miles and feeling still almost brand new, I wasn't expecting a fault of the likely costs if my fears are correct.