Brake servo restricted

Stevie84

Can someone reassure me please? I'm getting alarmed by the number of posts about ABS replacement! If I've had the faulty sensor replaced (by Audi Assist AKA the AA) does this mean I'm OK, or am I going to have to get the ABS replaced too at some point soon? TIA 😵

I understand that if the sensor was changed before you had an ABS failure you should be ok.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I had the same issue where the brake servo and stop start error appeared.  After reading this helpful thread, I thought I would do my part to help out too. 🙂

Issue stared on the 5th June 2021 and it was fixed on the 9th June 2021.  The car has been driven for approx. 100 miles during this time.

I've called up Cardiff Audi and fortunately they have one sensor left in stock.  Please note that 5Q 0906207, 5Q 0906207A, 5Q 0906207B are all cross compatible as confirmed by Audi parts department.  But of course best to get the latest B version if available.  Please note VW, Seat & Sokda all share the same part and I've checked with my local dealerships and they are all the same price £79.60.  I've managed to get it down to £76 at Cardiff Audi.  If unavailable, usually you can order it and it takes a day to arrive if ordered by mid-day.

Installation will take less than 5 mins if you are unfamiliar with the car.  I have enclosed a print screen of the Audi A4 Shop manual. Link are here: https://cardiagn.com/audi-a4-b9-8w-brake-system/ Page 146.  I can do a simple video to demonstrate this if anyone wanted.

One thing to be noted is when you unplugged the sensor, some pressure will be released from the hole.

I've asked Cardiff Audi whether this falls part of the recall part and they said no.  But they've done a few of these jobs and knew about the issue.

I hope the above helps.

Kind regards,

Ambrose

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 00.00.11.png

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 00.00.18.png

IMG_20210606_191551.jpg

IMG_20210608_230626.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, alo said:

Hi all,

I had the same issue where the brake servo and stop start error appeared.  After reading this helpful thread, I thought I would do my part to help out too. 🙂

Issue stared on the 5th June 2021 and it was fixed on the 9th June 2021.  The car has been driven for approx. 100 miles during this time.

I've called up Cardiff Audi and fortunately they have one sensor left in stock.  Please note that 5Q 0906207, 5Q 0906207A, 5Q 0906207B are all cross compatible as confirmed by Audi parts department.  But of course best to get the latest B version if available.  Please note VW, Seat & Sokda all share the same part and I've checked with my local dealerships and they are all the same price £79.60.  I've managed to get it down to £76 at Cardiff Audi.  If unavailable, usually you can order it and it takes a day to arrive if ordered by mid-day.

Installation will take less than 5 mins if you are unfamiliar with the car.  I have enclosed a print screen of the Audi A4 Shop manual. Link are here: https://cardiagn.com/audi-a4-b9-8w-brake-system/ Page 146.  I can do a simple video to demonstrate this if anyone wanted.

One thing to be noted is when you unplugged the sensor, some pressure will be released from the hole.

I've asked Cardiff Audi whether this falls part of the recall part and they said no.  But they've done a few of these jobs and knew about the issue.

I hope the above helps.

Kind regards,

Ambrose

IMG_20210606_191551.jpg

IMG_20210608_230626.jpg

What fantastic info 👍

Thanks. I took my car to Culver MOT centre and went through the forum information with them and they agreed to change it. Only problem was at the time they couldn’t source the part on its own due to the demand and it being on back order from Audi. Managed to get it with the pipes attached for an extra £50. At least I got it done. Surely it should be on immediate recall judging by the amount of posts on here over last few days. 

I agree but several members have contacted Audi UK with no result, you should send them an email, the more people that do the more chance we will have. Contact details are on this post further back.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:17 AM, alo said:

Hi all,

I hope the above helps.

Kind regards,

Ambrose

IMG_20210606_191551.jpg

IMG_20210608_230626.jpg

I had the "Brake Servo Restricted" message come up on my '16 A4 on Wednesday, and having come across this amazing thread in time, I have ordered the replacement brake servo sensor. Hopefully it gets here soon!

I don't really know my way around the car's bonnet, though, and if anyone is able to do a short video showing how to unclasp the existing sensor (I don't want to break anything off!!) then it would be so much appreciated.

1 minute ago, britorean said:

I had the "Brake Servo Restricted" message come up on my '16 A4 on Wednesday, and having come across this amazing thread in time, I have ordered the replacement brake servo sensor. Hopefully it gets here soon!

I don't really know my way around the car's bonnet, though, and if anyone is able to do a short video showing how to unclasp the existing sensor (I don't want to break anything off!!) then it would be so much appreciated.

Hi Britorean,

Yes I can do a video on how to install the sensor.  I'll record it & upload it this shortly.

Ambrose

• Thanks 1

I have an A5 MY17, however, same fault and warnings. Luckily, I read this thread and didn’t drive the car. In short, it took 90 mins to pick up a new sensor from a main dealer, drive home and fit. Very easy 5 min job, fixed the problem straight away.

AVOID ordering from some online .co.uk parts companies, they all appear to be in Germany. I did initially, the part was showing in stock and I ordered. After a week I inquired if they had been sent yet only to be told it was still awaiting dispatch, so I cancelled the order.

59 minutes ago, FADEC said:

I have an A5 MY17, however, same fault and warnings. Luckily, I read this thread and didn’t drive the car. In short, it took 90 mins to pick up a new sensor from a main dealer, drive home and fit. Very easy 5 min job, fixed the problem straight away.

AVOID ordering from some online .co.uk parts companies, they all appear to be in Germany. I did initially, the part was showing in stock and I ordered. After a week I inquired if they had been sent yet only to be told it was still awaiting dispatch, so I cancelled the order.

Glad you got sorted abd thank you for providing the ordering advice for other members ☺️

Exactly the same problem as everyone else on our Audi A4, 66 plate, 40000 miles. Thankfully had only driven it a few miles with the ABS kicking in before finding this thread.

Thanks to the info on this thread we ordered a new sensor from Derby Audi for £76, it was on backorder but arrived within a few days (first tried autodoc.co.uk for a cheaper OEM part, but as others have said it was posted from Germany after about a week, but never arrived and was sent back to sender by the shipment company for some reason after another 10 days!).

Very easy to change it yourself in 5 mins. Seems to have fixed the problem, thanks all.

Good morning all, another one to the list. 

Received the error messages yesterday morning- short drive and noticed the ticking/clicking when braking at low speeds. Fingers crossed I have found this thread in time&managed to catch it.

Mine is on a 2016 B9 A4 Sline  with 27k miles on the clock.

Does anyone have a list of part numbers so I can try&get 1 ordered?

Thanks,

Alex

1 hour ago, Alexh1983 said:

Received the error messages yesterday morning- short drive and noticed the ticking/clicking when braking at low speeds. Fingers crossed I have found this thread in time&managed to catch it.

Thanks,

Alex

The part number is 5Q0906207B.  The B is the latest version.

Hi guys,

As promised, here is a short video of how to replace the Brake servo sensor of an Audi A4 B9.  Not the best or clearest video, but I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ambrose

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, alo said:

Hi guys,

As promised, here is a short video of how to replace the Brake servo sensor of an Audi A4 B9.  Not the best or clearest video, but I hope it helps.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ambrose

This is so helpful and amazing, thank you so much Ambrose! What a legend. 

Driving yesterday and same thing has happened to my 2016 a4, 42,000. Not used car hardly at all in lockdown but have recently started using for a couple of longish journeys of about 350miles round trip. Week later and 20miles into 80 mile round trip and warning message come on. Started reading this forum when I got back. I've ordered part from audi Cardiff who had in stock and haven't driven car since. I'm hoping abs is OK and new sensor will do trick. So thankful for all posts and video and advice on how to change. Amazing from all.

My wife just pointed out we had a symptom of this for months before this happened - the car would be very intermittent as to whether it started or went in to ignition mode when you pressed the brake pedal and hit the start/stop button. 50/50 it would start. 

In hindsight now this makes perfect sense... The sensor was starting to misread for those many months and the car didn't think the brake pedal was pushed hard enough to start the entire. It starts every time first time now.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:20 AM, Alexh1983 said:

Thanks,

Alex

Update- local dealership can't see me for 4 weeks and doesn't have the part in stock but Audi Assist are coming out tomorrow morning to have a look at it.

• Like 1

An update from me too. I ordered the sensor (5Q0 906 207 B) from Cardiff Audi on Friday and it arrived this morning. It took a few minutes to remove the old sensor (I think I was being too careful not to break anything off) - the hardest part for me was to unhook the latch on the sides, but installing the new one was super easy.

Both brake servo and stop/start warnings disappeared immediately after the sensor was replaced.

All thanks to everyone on this thread and especially Ambrose whose posts I found extremely informative!

Obviously I'm not impressed that these parts are failing in the first place (or that they could lead to bigger safety problems), but I am hugely impressed by everyone on this forum coming together to help others. I would have been without a car and few thousand pounds poorer otherwise!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Alexh1983 said:

Update- local dealership can't see me for 4 weeks and doesn't have the part in stock but Audi Assist are coming out tomorrow morning to have a look at it.

Audi Assist replaced the sensor for me and all fault codes cleared. 

A huge thanks to all of this forum, which highlighted the issue and helped me understand the importance of the fault codes.

I am one of the lucky ones, fingers crossed more people find the forum and follow the advice.

The technician said the fault was a common one& he had already replaced one today(I was his third customer)