Brake servo restricted

Stevie84

• 1 month later...

Hi 

I have got the same error message ( brake servo / auto start stop fault) this morning.

when I rang Slough audi and the service guy acted like he had heard that error message for the first time. I even needed to spell “servo”.

anyway I got the quote £260 only for inspection and they would probably charge another £250 for sensor change.

Is this the regular process for this issue ?

and what do you guys reckon if I pop in to a local garage and have them look and sort out ?

Thanks

Ahmet 

For the price of a sensor buy one and fit it yourself,  there is a video early in this post which shows how easy it is.

43 minutes ago, Ahmet said:

Hi 

I have got the same error message ( brake servo / auto start stop fault) this morning.

when I rang Slough audi and the service guy acted like he had heard that error message for the first time. I even needed to spell “servo”.

anyway I got the quote £260 only for inspection and they would probably charge another £250 for sensor change.

Is this the regular process for this issue ?

and what do you guys reckon if I pop in to a local garage and have them look and sort out ?

Thanks

Ahmet 

Buy the sensor yourself for 100 and put it in yourself, dont drive it until you get it changed or the abs ecu will be damaged. Do it asap. It is easy to do.

Thanks.

I just dropped the car to a 200 yard local garage to have it looked as there were  funny/ clicky sounds when pushing the brake pedal at the same time. Also As I was driving there I was hearing some rattling sounds when I brake.

let’s see what they will come up after they check with machine . 
Will let you know 

Just now, Ahmet said:

there were  funny/ clicky sounds when pushing the brake pedal at the same time. Also As I was driving there I was hearing some rattling sounds when I brake.

Yeah, that's what happens once this sensor is in this mode. That's the ABS unit kicking in unneccessarily and assisting breaking because it doesn't know the pressure being applied, so goes in to a failsafe. It's good you took it in ASAP as if you keep doing that, eventually it wears out the ABS unit and it requires replacing, costing thousands (it only has a limited amount of use). As others have pointed out, it's a simple sensor replacement, 20 min job and a relatively cheap part. 

Have to support the previous contributors, unless you feel it’s too difficult, buy a genuine Audi part and fit yourself. In my experience, don’t be tempted to buy the part online.

14 minutes ago, Ahmet said:

Thanks.

I just dropped the car to a 200 yard local garage to have it looked as there were  funny/ clicky sounds when pushing the brake pedal at the same time. Also As I was driving there I was hearing some rattling sounds when I brake.

let’s see what they will come up after they check with machine . 
Will let you know 

I had my brake servo sensor warning, I drove my car, I damaged my ecu to fix in audi 3-4k. Change the brake servo sensor asap tell them not to drive the car. The servo sensor senses pressure to each wheel from the abs because it needs changing, that is what is causing noise. Change it now, like yesterday!

I went to my local independent garage. Cost me £20 to plug it in, they did this the first day and the day they fitted the part. They ordered the part from Audi , this it was about £80 and the labour was only a few pound. Cost about £160 ish total. I wouldn't bother going near Audi unless you buy the part yourself to fit. 

Got back the car from the local shop now.

£80 genuine sensor + £84 labour

It seems fine now, no warning and no funny feelings with the brakes. 
Mechanic also told I would see some improvement when I break as my abs was not working efficiently before.

One day of frustration and £165 later it is over hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we have this on our Q7. Going on holiday on Tuesday so only tomorrow to get it fixed. Does any one know the part no and how to change it on the Q7. Will try our local garage tomorrow but just doing some research in the meantime. Many thanks for any help.

2 minutes ago, Anniemac said:

Hi we have this on our Q7. Going on holiday on Tuesday so only tomorrow to get it fixed. Does any one know the part no and how to change it on the Q7. Will try our local garage tomorrow but just doing some research in the meantime. Many thanks for any help.

Sorry should have said it’s a 2017 model 

21 minutes ago, Anniemac said:

Sorry should have said it’s a 2017 model 

Hi Annie

There’s loads of info and also the part no. in the various posts ahead of yours  You will read that some AA vehicles actually carry the part as they are affiliated with Audi Assistance. I didn’t know that when my problem occurred and hadn’t joined this site 🥺    it ended up costing me iro £3600..  pls don’t make my mistake !

Hopefully you are still with Audi Assist, if not rejoin as I have done.  Maybe you could telephone them with your problem, rejoin and ask them to come out to you and you will pay their charge as you’ll prolly not be eligible for the visit as too new a member  regardless they are a huge help  

The time it takes you to read through all of this topic will be the best money saving advice I can give.  Good luck and happy holiday.

Pen

Hi. The part is being delivered tomorrow morning. Big shout out for Phil at Audi Parts Direct who was a superstar getting it in the post to me whilst I was on chat with him. https://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/product/audi-vw-brake-pressure-sensor-5q0906207b-5q0906207b Does anyone have a picture of the location of the part on a 2017 Q7. I need to fit it first thing and I am not sure where I should be looking for it. I have watched the helpful videos but the are on different cars or don’t show where it is. Do I need to do anything else other than fit it?

As suggested joining Audi assist in case anything else goes on it  

Many thanks 

Hello Anne,

I’ve dealt with a couple of Audi discount chaps over the years -   think Phil is in Cardiff? (part of Cardiff Audi as were  - now Mon Motors). Nice, helpful chap. Well he would be off to a good start - being Welsh! 
Good luck with sorting it out. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi all - I want to try changing the sensor myself after watching the brilliant video earlier!

I see these sensors going got as little as £11 now on eBay. Is there any difference between the ones at 50, or £11? They look the same and have the same model code: 5Q 0906207

Maybe some are A and some are B and aren’t stated, but would it really make a difference? 

4 minutes ago, Vanderlust said:

Hi all - I want to try changing the sensor myself after watching the brilliant video earlier!

I see these sensors going got as little as £11 now on eBay. Is there any difference between the ones at 50, or £11? They look the same and have the same model code: 5Q 0906207

Maybe some are A and some are B and aren’t stated, but would it really make a difference? 

I was told by the Audi Assist chap that the B indicated the revised/updated version of the sensor. Definitely the one you want in my opinion. 

Hello All,

I am new here and came across this forum when searching for information on the Brake Servo restricted warning on my Audi Q7 dashboard. Like all the previous cases, mine happened after I parked the car for a week, I’ve taken it to the Dealer to sort out.  It does appear to be an issue related to long moving the car for at least a day which is worrying if you are going on holiday. Having said that, I went away for a week after buying the car last year and I didn’t have this issue.

26 minutes ago, Yemi said:

Hello All,

I am new here and came across this forum when searching for information on the Brake Servo restricted warning on my Audi Q7 dashboard. Like all the previous cases, mine happened after I parked the car for a week, I’ve taken it to the Dealer to sort out.  It does appear to be an issue related to long moving the car for at least a day which is worrying if you are going on holiday. Having said that, I went away for a week after buying the car last year and I didn’t have this issue.

Hi, you may be right, but the common link I believe is that the affected vehicles all appear to be MY16-18, so is it a bad batch/manufacturer?

So glad I found this forum and topic. Issue came up for us and brakes felt funny so called the aa. They had this issue on thier books as a regular fail and towed the car to audi as it shouldn't be driven. Now audi are holding us ransom for £480 to fix the brake servo fault.... Totally speechless. Apparently the work will take 1 1/2hrs..... Car 4 months out of warranty. Pretty annoyed since this appears to be a very common fault. Even the parts guy said yes we've done loads of these recently. I don't see how this can't be a recall.... Anyone had luck arguing this is a small job after watching the YouTube video??? 

What really surprises me is the dash message saying the car can be driven. This is totally Incorrect...... 🤷‍♂️ 

22 minutes ago, Logges said:

So glad I found this forum and topic. Issue came up for us and brakes felt funny so called the aa. They had this issue on thier books as a regular fail and towed the car to audi as it shouldn't be driven. Now audi are holding us ransom for £480 to fix the brake servo fault.... Totally speechless. Apparently the work will take 1 1/2hrs..... Car 4 months out of warranty. Pretty annoyed since this appears to be a very common fault. Even the parts guy said yes we've done loads of these recently. I don't see how this can't be a recall.... Anyone had luck arguing this is a small job after watching the YouTube video??? 

What really surprises me is the dash message saying the car can be driven. This is totally Incorrect...... 🤷‍♂️ 

There should definitely be good will on this as it's just out of warranty and it's well known issue! I'd definitely fight this. 

Sorry to hear you have had this problem, your response from Audi is typical, even if you contact head office they are not interested and don't except it is a known fault. 

2 minutes ago, PHB said:

Sorry to hear you have had this problem, your response from Audi is typical, even if you contact head office they are not interested and don't except it is a known fault. 

I'm going to look at how to report this a safety issue and parts recall as looking through this thread so many people have been affected. 

Am going to try fight it as even the as said there was a parts recall on it so will Look into it. Unfortunately my car is stuck at audi so won't leave till Its paid