A6 Avant Sport Uncomfortable Seats

CB1

I've just replaced my A4 Avant (2015, SE Technik Ultra) with an A6 Avant Sport, mainly for the added space for kids' clobber. It seemed fine on the short test drive, but I've now discovered that the driver's seat is incredibly uncomfortable after a few miles. Despite multiple adjustments of height, back rest tilt, lumbar support etc, I cannot find a position that feels as if I'm really sitting in the car; it feels as if the seat is pushing me forwards from the middle to the top of my back. I've done less than 1000 miles, and I'm at the point where I really don't want to have to drive it. I took it back to the main dealer last week, to check the seat was OK - of course it's fine. Any thoughts about what to do re. this problem would be very welcome, as I tend to hang onto my cars for 5-6 years when I can, and I don't like the thought of 5-6 years of back pain.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have a6 avant ultra 2014 and I am experiencing problems similar to you. I have tried s line seats and still no better. Dealer says it is the offset pedals that's the problem. I am changing car after 5 months of agony. 

• 2 years later...

Hi

I have a 2021 A6 allroad petrol. It’s great but uncomfortable, so after a year I will happily spend whatever to improve or replace the front seats.

But I don’t know where to go!

Anyone got some advice?

3 hours ago, steve campbell said:

Hi

I have a 2021 A6 allroad petrol. It’s great but uncomfortable, so after a year I will happily spend whatever to improve or replace the front seats.

But I don’t know where to go!

Anyone got some advice?

You could try changing to standard seats if yours are the sportier type for example. 

The first thing I would do is test drive another version of the same car - without sports seats, which is what I'm assuming you have at present. If you find a comfortable option, look out on eBay for a set of seats (or even just a single driver's seat) in the same material your current seats are covered in.

I'd then approach the dealer and ask them to swap them over for free as a goodwill gesture (actually, I'd get them to agree to this before you buy the seats) - and do a reverse swap when you come to sell the car (put them in the loft tightly wrapped in bin bags). You can punt the seats back out on eBay and likely  make the cost back...

That sounds like a lot of fuss, but if you're uncomfortable in the car,  I think it would  be the most cost-effective way to  tackle the problem. Switching front seats is a simple matter, but I'd let the dealer do it in these circumstances...

• 1 year later...

Honest answer to this is to get rid of it, I am 9 months in and still suffering with it. If you can't get comfortable reasonably quickly then something is wrong.

I have been round the loop many times and just hate the car because of it.

I’d say it has something to do with the lumbar support. If you’re a big bloke you don’t sit snug into the seat. Then the pedals being offset is just the icing on the cake. 

I have gone through 6 or so different seat settings to get comfortable. I’ve just about cracked it.

you need the seat further back, the seating angle slightly back at 110-120 degrees and the lower front section out and tilted up so the weight is on your thighs not your hips. If you slouch into the seat (like you’re a boy racer) with all this in mind somehow it works out.

It shouldn't be this difficult though......in any car I've ever had before, I've never struggled with driver ergonomics like my A6 C8. The offset pedals and footrest at the wrong distance exacerbates it.

• 5 months later...