Rear Brake Pads

mandy_ell

I have been told by the garage that hubby (30 yrs mechanicing) can't do my rear brake pads because you need a computer to 'wind back the caliper'. 

Having searched the Internet there is software you can buy to enable you to do this yourself but my question is this...

Is it worth paying more for the more sophisticated software or will the £5 (ish) stuff off of eBay work just as well? 

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Mandy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mandy,

Yes, he's correct in saying you do need to plug the car in to wind back the rear park brake motors.

The software/lead is a bit expensive but it may be worth the cost as you can then do all your own servicing and fault finding without paying for a garage to plug in and clear service/fault lights. I had purchased the VCDS lead from Gendan mainly so I could do all this myself and it will save me a fortune in the long run.

I would be very weary of the cheaper versions of software kits as I've heard it's a nightmare if not done correctly and can be expensive to fix if it goes wrong.

Hope this helps.