RS3 exploding sunroof.

Weyni

Hi, guys.

I wanted to share my experience with exploding sunroof glass. Audi service was quite amazing but I want to give you a heads-up just in case that this will appear to be a common issue with all 2017+ models. Of course if something like that will happen to you make sure to stop somewhere and take few pictures before the glass will start falling apart. That will definitely help you with getting that sorted for free as a part of warranty. Anyway I was just cruising when I heard a loud bang over my head and felt little pieces of glass falling on me and my girlfriend like some snow 🤦‍♂️. I have called Audi and they collected the car and delivered a replacement car same day. The car was back with me 4 days later and they said that the sunroof glass was defective so it was replaced under warranty. I'm off leaving you with some pictures. 💪

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-29 at 17.28.12 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-29 at 17.26.52 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-29 at 13.33.48 (3).jpeg

Hello Weyni,

Very interesting and hopefully of help to other who may be unfortunate enough to experience the same misfortune. 

Always difficult to establish a root cause without seeing the actual car, but judging from the photo, it would appear that there was a specific stress site from which the fracture occurred, and radiated out. I could be wrong, but it is not untypical of similar fractures in windscreens which have suffered ‘stress point’ damage from a stone etc. 

I would guess that if this had been a more straightforward body- flexing induced fracture, then it would have been more likely to have fractures radiating out from some point on an edge of the glass. 

Whatever, it has now been sorted, and that is the main think. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. Just wonder if panoramic roofs come under the same insurance repair/replacement as windscreens, or do you lose your NCB if you claim.