New tyres needed

CJB58

Hi,

i have just had my mot done and an advisory was front drivers side tyre is getting low. I normally go for Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3s 245/40R 18 97y which I find are fantastic in all weather conditions but the problem is I’m going through them within 14000 miles which seems fairly quickly. 

The question is what tyres are other members using and how many miles are you getting out of them?

Hello Chris,

I’m afraid I don’t have any experience of using Goodyear tyres, but it’s one of the premium brand tyres which have never seemed to appeal. 

We have used Michelin (OE on our car) and had what we called reasonable wear rates when the car was covering mostly motorway miles - reasonable being around 15 to 18k from memory. The downside was the noise levels, particularly as the tyres became more worn. 

We are now trying Continental contact 5 (I think) and I’m estimating 12k will be about it with local mileage and sedate driving. 

In effect, I would not be too disappointed with your 14k (use and driving style?) using Goodyear, and if this brand satisfies your requirements then you might just find that mileage is not going to increase much if you move to another premium brand. 

As an aside, I had an interesting chat with the owner of a small local private hire fleet who covers motorway mileage in mainly Mercedes and a couple of Audi s, and he tells me he gets considerably more mileage out of (mainly Contis) due to the cars covering motorway mileages. 

Nor sure if any of this helps. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your feed back which has made me consider that maybe the return I’m getting is pretty good as I’m fairly sure there is around 1 - 2000 miles left in them.

I do a mixture of driving but mainly fast back roads that’s the whole reason I liked the Good Year Eagle F1 Assem 3s as they grip really well in all conditions and the road noise isn’t to bad. I know the rears are doing to last a fair bit longer so think I may stick with them at £102 a corner it isn’t to bad.

thanks again

Hello Chris,

Hopefully you will get some additional responses to supplement that of an aged mind! Your logic sounds good to me. I guess you’ve shopped around for best prices - always worth doing in my book- and I then approach my local trusted tyre supplier who usually matches the best on-line prices. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.