I find the ride quite hard on my a3 8p 2.0 tdi, anyone managed to find replacement dampers and spring that softens the ride?

Luke66

Hello Luke,

Thanks additional information. Now you need to consult the handbook which came with the car and check what profile and width tyres are specified as being standard for 17 inch wheels. Your current 45 would seem about right, but worth checking incase 50 is quoted - with a wider tyre. 

45 profile would not give you the best of ride comfort, whereas 50 should be better, but....

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth, but I'm looking more at replacing the damper and springs, maybe if something off a seat or skoda might fit, trying to do it without buying new adjustable coilover 

Thanks Luke,

Yes of course you can consider different shock absorber and spring set ups, but the logic of it all is that the final effect of ride quality depends upon the amount of flexible rubber you have between you and the road. I understand your wishes, but until you establish that that amount  of rubber you currently have is ‘standard’ for the suspension set up, then you are not evaluating whether that set up,is characteristic of the car or not. Simply changing the tyres may improve the ride quality if ( in caps) the profiles and widths are no non standard. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Gareth is right. You must get the wheels and tyres right before tinkering with springs and dampers, or you will end up with a dogs dinner of a car that does not handle correctly, with the tyres rubbing the wheel arches, the springs bottoming out, or steering that does not run true. Simply guessing and buying bits at random will be throwing money down the drain.