Audi A1 1.4 Sportback TSFI Popping out of high gear

Bob taylor

I have just put my car into an Audi garage as the gear stick is popping out at 3rd or 4th gear when accelerating, Audi are advising that it could be fly wheel or the clutch causing the problem, they have quoted £414 to investigate and recommend that I should replace both the clutch and fly wheel if this is found to be the fault at a cost of £1600, I just about fell off my seat at this cost as the clutch is not slipping and no effect other than the gear stick popping out, i am looking to seek some advise on the best way forward as this seems extreme

the car has been in for 2 days and I really don’t think they have done anything, other than carrying out an inspection on the car and telling me that the were issues with tyres, window wiper and an out of date tyre repair bottle they have done nothing over the last 2 days and then tell me it’s £414 to investigate to see if this is the actual problem 

the car is Audi A1 2014 44000 on the clock 

Hello Bob,

Sorry to hear of your issues. 

From the symptoms you describe, my back to basics logic points me fair and square in the direction of gearbox/linkage problems, and not clutch issues. In excess of £400 to simply investigate without doing anything is not considered value for money, and personally I would be collecting the car from them without delay and asking for a written report of what ‘clutch associated’ investigations have they carried out to account for that cost - assuming they are still considering this to be at fault. If it were me, and if I was not satisfied, then I would be debating that cost with them. 

Where next? Take advice on local trusted independents and get the problem looked at there. It may be as simple as some linkage adjustment, or it could be (and you hope not!) gearbox associated.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.