A8 D4 recall due to ECU failing

Interceptor 2

In May I purchased a 2010 A8 D4 with a 4.2L FSI engine and 60,000kms. Some yellow warning lights cam on and the car stopped, fortunately just as I was leaving my driveway. My garage found that the solenoid valve controlling the gearbox heating circuit was leaking very slowly and the coolant was running along the wiring to the ECU. There was a short across the two nearest pins effectively stopping the car because the ECU did not like what was going on. Turns out the valve fault was subject of a recall by Audi in Australia in 2016. However, my car missed out apparently because the previous owner was not using an Audi dealer for servicing. Was there a similar recall in Europe and what were the experiences of owners? Did Audi replace the ECU as well as the solenoid valve?  The Australian authorities dealt with the recall on a higher level as a 'product safety recall' because of the very real fear that cars could suddenly stop in traffic creating a potential hazard.