2018 Audi Q7 Gearbox issue/Hesitation

Beacon123

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, Beacon123 said:

Hi

Anyone else had any problems with a 2018/19 audi q7 3.0tdi with the 48v hybrid system with gearbox/hesitation issues which results in loss of power ??

On 9/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, Beacon123 said:

Hi

Anyone else had any problems with a 2018/19 audi q7 3.0tdi with the 48v hybrid system with gearbox/hesitation issues which results in loss of power ??

Yes, our 2018/19 3.0 vorsprung edition has gearbox hesitation constantly, it also sounds like it’s only running on 4 cylinders whist cold and the engine sounds and idles very rough. More concerning is the power surges whilst driving at low speeds. For example whilst travelling at say 30mph with light pressure on the accelerator the car gets power surges even though your throttle position has not changed. It feels like you do not have full control of the car so much so that my wife refuses to drive it at the moment. Audi are fully aware of this problem and supposedly it is a fix with a software update. However they have no clue as to when the update is due. 

I am in the process of seeking legal advice to reject the vehicle as it has had the above problems from new and only 5 months old with Audi not offering a fix or date for software update.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

im English but live in Portugal and bought a new Q7 3.0 s line in January this year

ive had many issues with this car such as plastic trims coming away, air con turning itself on, Audi pre sense coming on when there’s nothing around!

but by far the biggest issue for me is the gearbox! This is the worst gearbox in any car I’ve ever driven and I’ve driven an awful lot of cars!

the time it’s takes for the engine to respond from my foot pressing the accelerator is laughable, this car is dangerous to drive, I’m talking 2-3 seconds which when you are trying to judge the time for over taking or pulling out of junctions etc you take your life into your own hands!

audi have been informed many times but they tell me this is normal!!!

can someone please tell me if they experience the same issues

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, also my engine misses when it restarts and has stopped completely with me on two occasions. Audi can't cure the problem saying they are waiting for an engine software update. This update hasn't materialised yet, i have been waiting 11 months for it. I'm not happy with the car, it is not fit for purpose and is dangerous and i am looking to reject it and get a replacement. Other people are experiencing the same problem.

hi all, thanks for your replies to  my earlier msg, we have now rejected our car, as we were fed up of waiting and being told a date as it never happening ,

i believe its more than a software issue, as its to do with the camshaft/crankshaft syconisation which also runs the full pump.

It took 2 months of letters and phone calls and a lot of time, but now awaiting car to be collected and refunded, as the fault was recorded on the car before it was 6mths old, it must be an issue on the age of the car, ours was dec 2018

good luck everyone.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,  we have exactly the same problem with our Q7 and got it back last week from Audi saying it’s normal and how all Q7s drive.  We have had it coming up to 1 year now and it’s progressively getting worse, we also have juddering issue, lack of response, pre sense going off and even parking sensors going off with nothing around. Any ideas how to push Audi a little quicker as I too agree it’s not safe to drive!

• 2 months later...

I bought a brand new q7 black edition (had a q7 old shape before loved it) reading the comments above it sounds kind of similar to mine.

4 months into the driving I was sitting in traffic and the car started to shake and juddder informed My local audi centre and they couldn't find anything wrong.  Then the audi pre sense went off when nothing was around again nothing audi found any issue. After a couple of months the car started shuddering again and I call my local centre again to be told some lame excuse of emissions being dumped from the exhaust lol.

Again in October 2019 2nd time to fix the issue they done an update on the gearbox. Few weeks later the problem arose again booked for 6th jan and while i was waiting on the booking I was reversing and the car started jumping back like a kangaroo effect. 3rd time audi had it for 5 days test drove and couldn't replicate the issue. Two days of returning the car putting the car into reverse again same issue. I'm at the end of my tether paying a lot of money for a brand new car which I now dont have a lot of faith in (I have 2 children of my own and my job is to look after other children) so going to go a test drive with their master tech tomorrow we will see. But audi has been aware this has been a problem after 4 months of having the issue. Anyone else had juddering in reverse?

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t believe that so many people are having exactly the same issues that I am having with my may 2019 50tdi.

shuddering at 1000-1200 rpm, hesitation and sometimes nothing from gearbox for 2-3 seconds when pulling out of a roundabout. 

i reported the issue within 2 weeks of taking delivery of the car and was told categorically that there was a software update coming. 
obviously this has not been forthcoming.

audi uk confirmed that there was a software update coming but nothing has appeared so I have approached Audi finance to see what options are regarding rejecting/changing vehicle.

It would be great if anyone could offer any tips regarding rejection of the car as I have never had to do this before.

well, what a great first post!

Update on my situation, went out a run with the master technician and the fault happened whilst I was out with him, engine software update done and a reset of the gearbox. Car is more sluggish than before, now driving the car is shuddering whilst moving, coming to a stop car feels like its going to stall (obs automatic gearbox)  have taken up with audi.co.uk and finance and now in the process of rejecting the car. Can anyone advise if I should be able to get my deposit back help!!!

Hello Dawn,

’.....to get my deposit back help! ‘ 

The best advice I can give you Dawn is to take advice -without delay - from your local Citizen’s Advice. They should be able to advise you on how to reject the vehicle on the basis of it being unsuitable for purpose. Make sure you take a documented copy all the dealings you have had regarding your discontents and their failure to resolve the issues.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

It's amazing that Audi have allowed this situation to continue without taking any decisive action as regards a recall, etc. I am definitely going to be rejecting my car as it is getting worse and I keep being told to wait for the update. 

I have exactly the same symptoms as others are having and it is not acceptable.

• Like 1

I've called audi uk been advised to call audi finance to reject the vehicle. To be then told by audi finance to contact my local Audi dealership. I'll be contacting citizens advice to place this case with them also 

Thanks for the reply 

Spoke to dealership and car is  booked id on Weds for a gearbox update and a second update related, supposedly, to another engine issue. 

I highly doubt it will solve my problem (as per dawnn73's post) but you never know. I will update when completed.

• Like 1

Update on visit to Audi today. Software update to gearbox carried out and software update for Engine Control Module carried out.

The software version went from 4M0907401L 0001, to 4M0907401L 0002. 

Not a huge change I think.

They asked that I tried the car out to see if the symptoms are still there. I have a feeling that they will be unfortunately.

I have a stop start journey tomorrow morning which ususally sets the car of on its hesitation so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Sounds like audi know the problem is there and not being very forthcoming to let anyone reject their vehicle. I have to book the car in for a full diagnostic before they can start the process.

Keep us up to date with your results 

Had a couple of journeys in the morning through traffic and the car did not seem to have the same issues as before. Normally in slow traffic at around 100-1200 rpm the car would hesitate and jerk forward but it has not done this since the update.

It seems that the car maintains higher revs for longer as it warms up but this could have been due to the colder temperature outside.

I have a longer journey today so will look out for any issues.

Either something has improved or it just hasn't manifested itself again yet.

Hi guys

New to this thread but I'm experiencing the same issue with my Q7. Had discussions with my local Audi dealership recently and they applied some updates (last week) but advised that this is only part of the fix and their Aftersales Manager told me the update they're waiting on to fully rectify the issue isn't due to be available until July 2020 at the earliest !

I've since taken the matter to Audi UK and the dealership that sold me the car to try and explore my options for rejection, but I'm outside of the 6 month period...

On 2/11/2020 at 1:51 PM, Samwise said:

Hi guys

New to this thread but I'm experiencing the same issue with my Q7. Had discussions with my local Audi dealership recently and they applied some updates (last week) but advised that this is only part of the fix and their Aftersales Manager told me the update they're waiting on to fully rectify the issue isn't due to be available until July 2020 at the earliest !

I've since taken the matter to Audi UK and the dealership that sold me the car to try and explore my options for rejection, but I'm outside of the 6 month period...

Hi Samwise,

I think you are probably correct to look at rejection. Thi sia n expensive car and should be perfect.

I believe that if the issue was raised earlier than the 6 months then that is sufficient for the rejection, as long as =Audi knew about the problem then.

I have to say that since the software update on my car it hasn't had the shuddering and the gearbox responds faster.If this changes then you can bet that I will be looking at rejection as well.

I will be interesting to see what JUly 2020 (ono) brings.

I think given the details everyone has shared on here about their q7 having all having similar issues surely audi who are aware of these issues should be saying when purchasing the vehicle initially 

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken my car to another audi centre where again another technician has felt the juddering this time whilst breaking. I'm now being told this is a characteristic of the car and not a fault, even when the technician said there was an issue. I feel like audi are hiding something here and not willing to admit there is a problem

That's pretty shoddy. I was never told that there would be a characteristic of the car that it would shudder like a 30 year old transit van!

Have they done the latest software update?

The software version went from 4M0907401L 0001, to 4M0907401L 0002.

Hi all,

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my Q7, I bought the car in September 2018, I noticed all of the issues straight away. I spoke with the dealer and was told a software update is needed on the car, I am still waiting.. I didn’t put the car in as I was told a software update would be coming out so I  waitied patiently, I find the car unbearable to drive. I’ve got nowhere in getting the car rejected.  I have now raised a case with the motor ombudsman which was very easy to do and I urge all of you to do the same, we have/are paying a lot of money for these cars and it is just not good enough.. the number to call is 03001239123.