Audi 80 2.0 E 1992

I have an Audi 80 2.0 E 1992 car that I needs a new home. The car has been in my family since it was purchased for a dealer as a demonstrator. I have most of the original paperwork. The vehicle has not been driven for a number of years and is not in drive away condition and will require a trailer. The car was a runner and passed it’s-last MOT. The only mechanical issues I am aware of is the the ABS control unit has a faulty pot. The whole unit can be purchased used on eBay for less than £100. It also has a small oil leak and the oil pressure sensor bleeps when the revs change (it has been replaced but still persists) It looks a little rough as it has been standing for a number of years. The car is largely original with only cosmetic bodywork issues,I would describe it as a barn find type of car (without a barn). We have a bit of emotional attachment to the car and would rather it went to an enthusiastic or restorer, rather than a scraper. Please feel free to ask question it is located in Harefield Uxbridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tony,

Not one of the mainstream players in classic car auctions, as far as I’m aware. Their seller’s commission is well below the average of 15/20% (+vat?) which doesn’t seem to bode well. 

A quick bit of maths suggests a minimum cost to you of £470 if it sells, and assuming you deliver it to Warwickshire - from the London area? No doubt they will pick it up and even deliver it back if it doesn’t sell, but I’d be expecting a charge of around £1/mile round trip, each way. 

Even if you arranged to deliver it to them and it did sell, you might sell end up owing them money rather than getting any return! Quite honestly, you could be better off giving it away than embarking on this route. 

If (in caps) you wish to go down the auction route and are prepared to lose a fair amount of the selling price in commission, (I wouldn’t) , you could try (East?) Anglia Motor Auctions more over towards your neck of the woods. 

What’s wrong with advertising in Modern Classics, Piston Heads etc. Tony? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth,

I'm Tony - not the owner of the car in this thread.

I started the thread about the 29,000 mile A3. Lots of people have looked at it but with no comments.

I spoke to those Classic Car Auction folk and for my car it would certainly be worth the auction process based on what they think it would fetch. I'd want to have a retainer as the danger of that sort of auction is that something might happen the same day and the number of attendees/bidders drop unusually - the possible General Election for example.

I looked at the mag you suggested and there they want me to put in a price. At the moment I don't have one I am certain enough about. I am learning as I talk and luckily in no rush.

Probably the next thing is to talk to some more auction folk.

It is a ULEZ driven swap. We'll move to electric. But we have two years before the axe falls. In the meantime the A3 will go up in value and electrics come down.

Tony

Apologies Tony. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

p.s. The popular players in classic car auctions include H&H, Brightwells etc etc. The gamble might ( and it’s just a might)

be that it turns out to be little more than and online auction, when you could use the old eBay for much less, and possibly far more coverage.

Spoke to both H&H and Brightwells who only wanted the car with no reserve.

For me that would be madness as I could be unlucky and be on a day when next to nobody went to the auction.

I had not realised that one could use eBay as an advertisement. There is a 1998 Audi A3 on there but without the normal eBay bidding process.

Tony

Hello Tony,

Apologies for restating, but I did say it could be possible to get next to nothing/nothing returned to you by going down the auction route. 

Again, yes you can advertise it as a ‘Classified’ ad. on eBay, where you list it at the figure you actually want. It did cost £14.99. 

What have you got to lose by giving it a try? £14.99. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Fair comment Gareth,

I have a friend who is in the top end of the auction business. Always looking for business and angles. Which is why he is 'rich'.

I got the impression that the folk I spoke to at H&H and Brightwells were children. No initiative. No lust for a deal. If my pal were employing them I wonder how long they would last.

Luckily we have two years to find a buyer for this car. Chatting here and elsewhere is part of the learning curve.

£14.99 for an ad on eBay is a snip.

And thank you again for your interest. It is much appreciated and great to hear some fresh suggestions.

T

eBay is also a great resource for getting a feel of value.

Lots of the ads for low mileage cars of a similar age are from dealers. I don't think I want to open my life to a world of tyre kickers so may end up selling to the trade. But, if I build up a spreadsheet of what is and has been on offer I can be more realistic about my expectations. I'll also, by then, have a list of dealers who show they are prepared to take a punt on my sort of car - and who knows it might lead to them selling me my BEV so they'll make two profits.

T

Hello Tony,

It seems you are well equipped to sell a vehicle and have contacts which extend beyond those commonly known to the majority of private sellers. I doubt if you really need anymore advice of how to go about these things. 

As I’m sure you will appreciate, everything ultimately sells on price, and I always try to be realistic in my expectations, rather than ‘playing the valuation’ game. In my book, a quoted selling price is a must, and ‘offers considered’ is a definite off put. 

For what it is worth, 2 auctioneer statements stick in mind from the days when I had hair:- 

‘The valuation of a vehicle is judged by what someone will write you a cheque for on the day, and is likely to be different from another persons cheque tomorrow - ( in relation to me selling a 9k miles Morris 1000 at the time). 

Another auctioneer’s comment on a private sale where the buyer asks ‘What will you take for it?’ His reply was ‘Keep putting your money on the table and I’ll tell you when it is enough’. 

Both statements stick in the mind since they realistically outline dealings with genuine sellers and reasonable buyers, as opposed to valuation seekers. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Thanks Gareth,

As always an interesting observation.

My view is that there is also a lot of luck in matching the right buyer with a seller. When we bought our Bentley Turbo R in 2001 a lot of luck was involved. Finding the right service garage. Finding a good negotiator. Finding the car that continues to serve us well at minimal cost.

Golfers tell me that the more you play the luckier you get. With that in mind, as I am not in a rush to trade our Audi for an EV, the more research I can do into what this sort of car can command the more likely I am to be lucky and find the right buyer. I've already got two people interested and I have only been chatting around for about a month.

Yes the dealers and some of the auctioneers say I'll only get the few hundred that AutoTrader suggests.

Maybe neither of my two potentials will come good - but I only need one!

Tony