Audi A1 Warning Light

Guest jimbo1977

Guest jimbo1977

Hi All

I am new to the forum so please be gentle 🙂

I am currently driving a Audi A1 2013 TDI and for the past 3/4 months the below warning light pops up on my dashboard as well as the error message around start/stop system fault, as soon as I turn the engine off and turn back on the error will disappear.

does anyone know what the issue is or has anyone experienced this before?? 

Thanks in Advance

pic1.jpg

pic2.png

Hello James,

My stab at this is that it’s associated with a below par battery on your 6 year old car. 

Stop/ start systems puts tremendous strain on batteries, starters etc. and I guess its reasonable to expect that the original batteries will no longer last as long as they did - so 6 years may be about it for anticipated service life. 

No doubt you will appreciate that if it is the battery, then it has to be replaced with one which will run a stop/start system - the battery will usually be of the AGM type. 

In my book, if you do need to replace it then spend wisely, and get a good branded one such as Varta/Bosch. If you shop around, you should find one of these brands for much the same price as an ordinary/unknown brand. Tayna Batteries currently have good deals on some types (no connection). 

Don’t be too disappointed if it is the battery after 6 years. A family member has just replaced the battery on a 3.5 year old ‘prestige’ vehicle due to stop/start becoming inoperative! 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello James,

I would not simply replace the battery without first getting its efficiency checked. Halfords do battery checks - but ensure you have taken the car for a 10/20 mile run before having it checked. 

Would I buy a replacement battery from Halfords? For me, the answer would have 2 letters. 

AGM battery testing may be more complicated than testing normal batteries. I don’t know, so it would be wise to ask questions first, to ensure freedom from electronic ..... ups! 

Of course, you can revert to your first intention and change it anyway. 

If you do decide to buy a new one then take all the information off the existing one - including dimensions ( be careful with terminals if using a metal tape) so that you are certain you are buying the correct replacement. 

New one might have to be coded in?? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Guest jimbo1977
1 minute ago, Magnet said:
1 minute ago, Magnet said:

Hello James,

I would not simply replace the battery without first getting its efficiency checked. Halfords do battery checks - but ensure you have taken the car for a 10/20 mile run before having it checked. 

Would I buy a replacement battery from Halfords? For me, the answer would have 2 letters. 

AGM battery testing may be more complicated than testing normal batteries. I don’t know, so it would be wise to ask questions first, to ensure freedom from electronic ..... ups! 

Of course, you can revert to your first intention and change it anyway. 

If you do decide to buy a new one then take all the information off the existing one - including dimensions ( be careful with terminals if using a metal tape) so that you are certain you are buying the correct replacement. 

New one might have to be coded in?? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

thanks I have reached out to my local garage for pricing on the battery and they advised they would test the battery on first instance, looking online I was not expecting the costs to be £200+ but hey I am not surprised.

appreciate you responding

Guest jimbo1977

off subject 

my A1 is currently on 73k miles and looking online it advises to change the timing belt after 5yrs or 75k miles?? is this accurate and should l get it looked at.

thanks

Hello James,

Back to the battery and local garage testing. Fine in my book, but you are likely to end up with a brand of battery which their local motor factors supply them. Would I go down that road? No, I wouldn’t. 

Not sure where you get your £200 anticipated spend from for a battery? As a guide, the previously mentioned ‘prestige’ vehicle which we bought a battery for last week from Tayna was a Range Rover Evoque diesel, and believe me, that was a big and hernia inducing heavy battery. JLR dealer price - £277. Tayna price for a Varta (original equipment) battery via. their eBay site was £136. 

Hope this may aid the wallet. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

p.s. Cambelt? Your online check sounds reasonable, but personally, I would be wandering in to my nearest main dealer and seeking their advice. Once you have that , and their quote, double check with another main dealer since dealers often do promotional offers on such jobs. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, Guest jimbo1977 said:

thanks much appreciated I will look to get battery replaced ASAP

Did replacing the battery work for you as mine is doing the same 

45 minutes ago, Melk said:

Did replacing the battery work for you as mine is doing the same 

Definitely worth getting the battery checked. It can be done for free at Halfords or similar. If it's not the battery then a diagnostic check is recommended. 

• 1 month later...

Hi I was told yesterday that changing the battery would cause this, I changed mine this morning and luckily no such message 

5 hours ago, Dr-x said:

Hi I was told yesterday that changing the battery would cause this, I changed mine this morning and luckily no such message 

Hi yours will be fine as long as it was recoded to the car otherwise its a waste of money as the new battery will wear out in record time.

Steve.