ESP Fault, Brake Fault, Parking Brake Malfunction, Headlight range control defective, preventing starting

Deanobeast

Hi! 

Joined the forum as I've recently replaced the old Audi with a new Audi! I've gone from a '02 Audi A3 1.9 TDi 130 to a '07 A6 Allroad quattro. It's a Hell of a upgrade! 

... and it's broken.

So I'm here to hopefully look for some answers as googling has brought me plently of information but more questions than answers. Hopefully this post can help anyone else googling for the answers in future too. 

What's happening; (tl:dr short version - warning lights sometimes, car won't start, trying again helps) 

When putting in the key but before cranking over a number of waring signs come up. They come up in this order - ESP Fault (sometimes) , Brake Fault, Parking Brake Malfunction, Headlight range control defective (I've added pictures for guidance). When attempting to start the engine turns over but gives up and does not start. If attempting to pull the keys in and out a couple times it then starts up just fine. The keys need to be fully removed for it reset again. 

To try to combate the problem I checked and replaced the battery incase low voltage was the issue. This was a good idea as the battery was old but it didn't fix the issue.

I then took the car into a garage and they checked and cleaned the ABS sensors which seemed to help but now the problem is back. What's my next port of call? The internet seems to believe it's an ABS sensor or parking control module, ECU or other. Can anyone suggest how to proceed? I'll update with pictures of my adventures for future generations. 

But shortly before the problems began I installed a bluetooth converter to the MMI 2G High system so I'm happy to answer questions about that if anyone hasn't given it a go yet. 

Glad to be here and hello! Ben

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

Part 2 - not yet fixed 

Okay so I've done some basic research and it looks like one of the main problems of the C6 model seems to be drainage holes blocking up, water finding it's way into the ECU relays and causing corosion - leading to intermmitent signals... and problems. 

show your workings / cite your sources 

No.1 https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/help-abs-esp-parking-brake-fault-and-headlight-range-control-defective.201648/

No.2 http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/172036-Parking-Brake-Malfunction-ESP-EPB-ABS-Car-Wont-Start-SO-MANY-FAULT-CODES!!/page2

So I bravely waded into the dark to have a crack at it and see what I can find. 

So there's a fuse box of some sort on the driver's side of the top of the engine bay - after removing the black covering above the engine bay I tried to worm my way in. It looks like I'm not going to be able to remove the fuse box lid without also removing the plastic from underneath the windscreen wipers. After trying to remove these the genral consensus is that you'll need to have a bolt puller if you don't want to damage your paintwork. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6vHZwCUkE

From the pictures you can see there certainly is some crap built up in the gutters which may have caused water to get into the fuse box. 

So I'm jumping on the motorbike tomorrow to buy a bolt puller and do my best tomorrow evening! Wish me luck 

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

Part 3 - Fixed 

So the problem go worse to the point the car was stopping while driving. roughly 30 seconds from starting and moving away to then flash warnings and refuse to start. I limped home after 10 minutes of trying to start. 

Relays 614 and 395 are apparently know issues and I bought 2 new relays from a VW garage. Cost circa £20 each. They didn't seem damaged or broken but replacing them has worked well. 

Getting to the ECU box on the right hand side required removing the windscreen wipers and black plastic under the window but was otherwise okay. 

Since being replaced I've had 24hrs of okay starting and driving. if anything fails I will update here 

Ben 

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_4891.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

i have the same problem. diagnostics does not see an error, but the lights come on. yes, I had water in that channel. If I understood correctly, there are more relays, but you only changed relays 614 and 395? I am disturbed by this photo below showing relays number 646 and 644!

relay 614 is the fuel pump relay if i'm correct? the lights that come on are esp fault, abs fault, handbrake fault, i don't see a connection with relay 614, but i'm a layman.

Edited by nikolamne

On 5/18/2023 at 9:49 PM, nikolamne said:

i have the same problem. diagnostics does not see an error, but the lights come on. yes, I had water in that channel. If I understood correctly, there are more relays, but you only changed relays 614 and 395? I am disturbed by this photo below showing relays number 646 and 644!

relay 614 is the fuel pump relay if i'm correct? the lights that come on are esp fault, abs fault, handbrake fault, i don't see a connection with relay 614, but i'm a layman.

Try your battery first. A failing battery can cause all sorts of electrical issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My battery is new, bosh.  I will try with this relays but i didn t understand, did I must change all relays or just this two?

Edited by nikolamne
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 7:21 PM, nikolamne said:

My battery is new, bosh.  I will try with this relays but i didn t understand, did I must change all relays or just this two?

Just those two I believe 

Good informative topic/post this is, Easy question to answer.... has the facelift C6 got the same drainage issues under the windscreen scuttle/cowel cover thingy?