A8 Auto box fluid/filter change.

WOODYTHEWISE

As header. Depending on who you ask, or what you read, you will probably get varying answers. So, car is a 2013 A8 3.0lt tdi Quattro.

Does it need/require an oil/filter change on the auto box? . Car has been serviced outside of official dealer workshops. Thank you in advance.

Hi John, I can only go on my recent experience. On my A7 2012 3.0Tdi booked it in at Audi for a full service and gearbox filter and oil change, as the service booking site at Audi listed it as an item - 225 gbp for the privilege. 
I got a call from them later to state that an oil and filter change cannot be carried out as its a sealed for life... 

Thanks M.

Hi Lanky, thank you. Audi Ayr said like wise, i may be wrong but i think the Audi has a ZF box, who state the gearbox fluid and filter should be changed every 40k miles. Nothing wrong with the box but wanted to be on the safe side.

Thank you again. John.

Hello John,

I think you are absolutely right in saying there is likely to be mixed opinion on this. 

Mark’s dealer has probably given him sound opinion, but I wonder about the correct wording relating to ‘sealed for life’. If this means what it really says and the unit is indeed ‘sealed’ then Mark has been given the correct advice.

If, as I think they mean - Audi does not have this on their service schedule - then all it means is that it doesn’t have (in caps) to be done, and it’s back to your question of whether to or not. 

I found the same very vague situation with the fuel filter on our 2006 A3. No service interval - which is of course daft. 

Not sure if any of this helps, so it might be worth keeping an open mind on it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.  

Hi Gareth. The same debate is often on various marque forums, not least the MB ones. I think sealed for life refers to a plastic plug inserted in what would be the dipstick tube. What would happen if the sump on the gearbox started to leak? ....Why do Audi sell the ATF , gaskets and filters?. The price of a fluid and filter change is listed under the price list from Audi dealers.

Mercedes offer a fluid/filter change on ZF boxes as do several other makers who use exactly the same box.

I think its the same with the long life service. I think this is to attract fleet buyers to keep the cost of servicing down. I will keep an open mind.

Thank you again.

• Like 1