A3 2011 Black Edition 2L TFSI won't start

wilzatron

Hi all,

Drove the car to the gym yesterday evening after having driven it in the morning and left all day before going to the gym. Came back to my car afterwards and it wouldn't start. Engine trying to turn over for a brief second and then getting a clicking noise. Leaving the ignition on, after about 20 seconds i get a warning saying the battery is low. I thought it was odd as no lights were left on etc. I could turn the headlights on though at this point.

Managed to bump start it and get it home which is about a 10 minute drive. Turned the engine off when i got home and tried to turn it on again to check if it was maybe an alternator issue and the battery was never being charged. Turned on fine. Then came back to the car about an hour later and it still turned on fine. You can probably guess whats coming....came back in the morning and it didn't start, showing the same symptoms as before. Again no lights or anything left on. I even switched off the auto lights the evening before just in case some sort of witchcraft was going on!!

Has anyone had this issue beofore? It just seems so instant, one minute being ok, and then the next not. Was only in the gym an hour! Soured what was a great cricket session in the nets!!!

Thanks in advance!

WIll

Hello William, 

I’m very much with Cliff on this. I and dare I say - possibly - Cliff will recall batteries failing with some degree of warning. Nowadays they seem to fail almost ‘catastrophically’ - appearing to be OK one day, and problematic the next. I see your car is about 8 years old, and if the battery hasn’t been renewed, then it’s likely it’s about done its time. Certainly get its efficiency checked, but I would anticipate it needs renewing. 

If so, record all the data off your existing one and have a look on line for a quality replacement such as Bosch or Varta. Suppliers such as Tayna, Battery Megastore will ship one out to you quickly. Personally, I don’t favour many of the other brands which might be available cheaper or dearer. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

All sorted. New battery required! Thanks for the help. I do now have jump leads in the boot just in case, although due to our road being one way and no drive, bump starting is easier!!

Glad to hear it.

Like Gareth, I remember a time when dying batteries gave advance notice of their impending demise by turning the engine over slower than normal for a week or two before they completely expired. Then again cars had starting handles in case the battery was tired. (That dates me more than I want to admit.)

Hello William, 

Glad you have the diagnosis sorted - new battery required. The bit I’m not so keen on  - but it’s not my car - is the jump leads and bump start bit. I really wouldn’t want you to be stuck, so do you mind if I just re- stress that this battery is likely to fail without warning. 

A couple of months ago, I was asked to jump start a 15 month old car which was failing to even attempt to turn over. The car would not jump start since the battery had failed ‘internally’ and would not allow any current to flow through it. Never in my x ( large figure) years have I experienced that. Battery was obviously replaced under warranty by the **** manufacturer - not VAG group. 

I think I would be investing in a new battery without delay. 

Starting handles and getting away with batteries not holding charge. Less complicated motoring days I think Cliff! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

Sorry, my message was a bit misleading!

New battery required, so I got one and got it installed 🙂So hopefully all sorted!!

Thats young a car? Wow. Touch wood, I hope my new battery lasts longer, although I’m thinking about getting a new car soon as mine has done 125k miles and showing signs of age. Will be a sad day when it goes. Have loved this car and was my dream (realistic) car when growing up. More space needed now though so may have to look at the Qs... or an RS6 😉 I wish....

Thanks for you help guys!

Will

• Like 1