EML/VCDS

Jim70

Hi all.

I've had an EML on for the past week or so and did a scan which showed the fault code as P2002 Diesel Particulate Bank 1, Efficiency below threshold.

The car is still running fine with no other issues.

Not sure exactly what this means but I've done a bit of research on it and it seems to be a common problem 🙄.

Anyhow, after trying some things, like running car at higher revs on motorway, using higher grade fuel, the EML has returned with same fault code 😞.

I purchased both DPF and Exhaust manifold sensors and replaced them today, cleared faults but my question is, do I NEED to code them with VCDS and how do I do it?

When I plug the car in to VCDS and open Engine controller module it won't let me recode anything as in picture??? Coding ll and measuring blocks is greyed out??

Anyone help plz.

Thanks.

20191011_132156.jpg

On 10/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, Jim70 said:

Hi all.

I've had an EML on for the past week or so and did a scan which showed the fault code as P2002 Diesel Particulate Bank 1, Efficiency below threshold.

The car is still running fine with no other issues.

Not sure exactly what this means but I've done a bit of research on it and it seems to be a common problem 🙄.

Anyhow, after trying some things, like running car at higher revs on motorway, using higher grade fuel, the EML has returned with same fault code 😞.

I purchased both DPF and Exhaust manifold sensors and replaced them today, cleared faults but my question is, do I NEED to code them with VCDS and how do I do it?

When I plug the car in to VCDS and open Engine controller module it won't let me recode anything as in picture??? Coding ll and measuring blocks is greyed out??

Anyone help plz.

Thanks.

20191011_132156.jpg

UPDATE. Just a bit of info. These sensors seem to be a common problem, if your getting this same fault code then I'd look at these first.

I'm sure it was just the one sensor that was faulty but I replaced both just to save any hassle in future.

(Not saying this is going to be the cause on all occasions but it's certainly the cheaper option)

I got both genuine VWAG sensors for £65 on eBay 🙂 compared with Audi wanted £72 each.

Also managed to get the adaption done in VCDS by going in to Engine then Basic Settings and there's a drop down menu in there.

Hope this helps anyone with same problem. 

• Like 1

Hello James,

Great. Glad you have sorted it, and equally pleased you have taken the trouble to report back to the forum, which will be of help to others in the future. Unfortunately, such follow-up responses are rare. 

I’d certainly be happy to be able to work alongside you,  once I could see you were a ‘genuine VAG sensor’ man only. There are some dubious aftermarket parts out there, and their use can lead to all sorts of ongoing issues when ‘it can’t be that sensor - I’ve just replaced it’ 

I tend to do what you do - buy quality parts at best shop-around prices.

Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth. 

10 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello James,

Great. Glad you have sorted it, and equally pleased you have taken the trouble to report back to the forum, which will be of help to others in the future. Unfortunately, such follow-up responses are rare. 

I’d certainly be happy to be able to work alongside you,  once I could see you were a ‘genuine VAG sensor’ man only. There are some dubious aftermarket parts out there, and their use can lead to all sorts of ongoing issues when ‘it can’t be that sensor - I’ve just replaced it’ 

I tend to do what you do - buy quality parts at best shop-around prices.

Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, thanks. Me too, it did cause me a bit of a headache initially but with a bit of research and various testing I got there in the end, thankfully at not too much expense. 

It's always good to try and help someone out if they're having the same problems so hopefully some people will benefit from this post.

I don't see the point in saving just a few pounds if you can get genuine parts at affordable prices. They're generally better quality and with the likes of sensors which work on very small tolerances it's a must.

Cheers

James

• Like 1