Amazon Alexa connection to Audi MMI.

Dave1703

Hi,   I have just collected my Audi A6 Avant 40Tdi quattro last week.   Loving it so far and finding my way around the MMI gradually.  I have tried to connect to my Amazon Alexa account but so far haven’t had any success......  anyone else having trouble with this?    Any tips on getting it to work would be appreciated. 

2A1975F3-CC88-442C-B853-361AECADB0A3.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi, yes also having problems. Spoke to both Audi digital support (tel no. In the my audi app) who couldnt sort it...then spoke to Amazon....they said there are technical problems with the car integration systems and are working to fix them.... how much of that was true I dont know. All I can see is that in 'my devices' on my Alexa App on my phone, it shows my eco dot is 'online' but my Audi Alexa Integration is 'offline' despite following the correct procedure to link the MMI and Alexa. This seems to be the issue. All my other online services work, albeit subject to phone signal incl, amazon music. Not sure if there will be some kind of software update, will speak to dealership tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having issues too. I can get Alexa connected and it provides weather info and answers questions but it will not play my prime music through it. 

I think it may have something to do with the fact that only certain services are available via the free data connection and for anything else you need to purchase a data plan. I have seen something in the manual which seems to indicate that you can use your mobile device for the data connection but it is very vague. 

I have an Android and an apple device so I am going to try with each device to see if I can get it working. 

• 7 months later...

You are on the right path. Low data usage requests like weather and smart home integration go via the built-in Audi SIM (the one that's used for OTA map updates). All entertainment requests that consume more data (e.g. Amazon Music) require that a second wireless connection known as "APN2" is active. APN2 can be activated by:

1. Purchasing a data plan from Audi - https://audi.cubictelecom.com/en/;

2. Inserting an active SIM card into the APN2 SIM slot; or,

3. Connecting a phone that supports Bluetooth Remote SIM access profile (rSAP) to the infotainment system.

Hope that helps.

The latest MMI Update made it so that you could no longer use your mobile phone data for music and tethering of the in car wi-fi and must purchase one of those extortionate data plans.

The Amazon Alexa that you guys have, was it an option you guys picked during build as I've asked my dealers about it and nobody seems to know anything.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

be interested to hear if you ever got this to work? - my Audi Connect worked for the grand total of one day and then the car stopped talking to the internet. Been into the dealers (due back in again tomorrow) and have a case open with both Audi Digital services and Cubic telecom (I tried a data plan with them to see what else I could get to work)... They all seem to be clueless.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick and Martin are correct. My A6 has been with Audi dealers (3 of them) reference the satellite map display being different than on our A4 and A8.  No weather or news updates . Various explanations including a stated missing e mail from supplying  dealer to Audi Germany not sent to authorise the system and this was the issue. A 1 month sim purchase kick started the weather and news and has continued to show since sim payment lapsed but maps display remained unaltered. 
After 2 days investigation with local dealer the answer is the A6 S line does not have Goggle 3 D maps on the standard build you needed to select the entertainment/ MMI upgrade at order stage. Congrats to local dealer for finally resolving but unfortunately dealer staff generally have minimal info/ knowledge and after 3 individuals all saying yes the display is wrong leave it with us to have updated you expect they know what they are saying is correct.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, Ken Carmichael said:

Rick and Martin are correct. My A6 has been with Audi dealers (3 of them) reference the satellite map display being different than on our A4 and A8.  No weather or news updates . Various explanations including a stated missing e mail from supplying  dealer to Audi Germany not sent to authorise the system and this was the issue. A 1 month sim purchase kick started the weather and news and has continued to show since sim payment lapsed but maps display remained unaltered. 
After 2 days investigation with local dealer the answer is the A6 S line does not have Goggle 3 D maps on the standard build you needed to select the entertainment/ MMI upgrade at order stage. Congrats to local dealer for finally resolving but unfortunately dealer staff generally have minimal info/ knowledge and after 3 individuals all saying yes the display is wrong leave it with us to have updated you expect they know what they are saying is correct.

Im assuming that you mean having the tech pack gets you the google 3d maps?

• 1 month later...

Hello I just purchased a Audi Q7 2021 and there is nowhere I can figure out how to make Alexa working. From day 1 was not connection with the myaudi. I call the customer service and they have no idea if the 2021 Audi support Alexa. i asked the dealer when I bought the car if alexa was included in the package and the answer was yes. Someone else has the same issue?

• 1 month later...

I just collected my 2021 Q7 yesterday and cannot find any indication that it has Alexa integration.  I know the 2019-2020 model did as we saw it when we had our test drive.  From the manual you have to agree the online SDS capability and that should allow you to use Alexa, but it does not seem to be in any of the menus where the manual says it would be so assume it has been removed.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Got my A6 S-line mid November 22, took a couple of attempts to set up the Alexa, to did not seem to work, then it did. I can switch on the outside light on my home as I'm driving down my road. I found that it works sometimes, but other times not. I must have it set right, or it would not work at all, so I suppose its the connection to the internet that seems to be the issue. Is there a way to connect via a mobile, I have a unlimited data package on my iPhone which has a good connection most of the time while Im driving?

• 2 months later...

I just talked to Audi support - they told me that my '21 A6 MMI with the connect Plus package is NOT compatible with ALEXA integration. Has anyone in this forum received the same unsatisfactory news? Your feedback is appreciated, thanks!